You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Could you add HSV/HSB to color picker?

Although the range of picker types you have is quite wonderful, I'm used to working with HSB/V (Brightness or Value) instead of HSL (for lightness.) It's a common way of specifying colors especially in the land of video. HSL is a similar user experience, but there are a lot of times where it just makes sense to think of 100% brightness (which, to get the same RGB value, somehow works out to 50% lightness.)

(And as you probably know, Adobe Photoshop's picker has HSB, not HSL.)

This website does a great job of dynamically showing the difference:

http://colorizer.org

Would you consider adding this option to Designer/Photo/Photo for iPad? Thanks.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Agreed. Please add HSB! 

HSL is a werido. The 'L' adjusts not one variable, but two. Where S is an expected 0-100%. The L 100% is really at 50%, adding black down to 0%, and adding white up to 100%. HSB is more sensible, 1 variable for each slider. Its better usability has made it more dominate in all the drawing and design apps. I think HSL would be dead if it weren't for javascript.

If you want to get real progressive, also change LAB for HSLuv/HSBuv, which provides a human perception based color picker, that humans can actually use! (I've never met anybody who thinks in LAB)

Finally, provide a mac color picker button in the Affinity color tab (not just menus)

Definitely this. +1000

I was very surprised not to see HSV(B). There is nothing wrong with it and it is everywhere. For me it is much more intuitive than HSL. HSL is indeed weird. Right now I have to learn HSL because of Affinity instead of just using easy HSV(B) right away.

This is what puzzles me: In certain areas Affinity apps just copy Adobe apps (too much) with all the Adobe shortcomings but in this case they totally deviate from the standards and replace HSV(B) with HSL.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

HSV all the way. Using HSL throws me off all the time and it is frustrating as hell. 😫

The issue exists in both, Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer 1.8.x

Edited by pixy
change

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

HSV please, it's more intuitive for people who are used to working with physical paints. HSL is useful for color and tone separation. HSV is better for choosing colors in an intuitive way.

Affinity has always had a very innovative business model, but it is often missing some very basic features that are preventing real professionals from switching, once and for all, to Affinity or that are giving professionals another excuse to go back to Adobe for example.

I love Affinity. Please add this feature and maybe the articles will stop calling Affinity things like "a low budget alternative" or "for beginners". Shut them up.

For users, please make as much noise as you can in this thread!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I also needed this and was disappointed to see not a single response from the Affinity team after all these replies. Thankfully, I found an alternative and would like to share it. The program is called "Color Selector", both lightweight and free. All you have to do is click & drag over the color and it will show you the HSV(B) values. Without it, I would've had to end up getting photoshop just to color grade correctly, but it's all good now!

http://colorselector.sourceforge.net

3 hours ago, aricley said:

and was disappointed to see not a single response from the Affinity team after all these replies.

As is clear from other request threads, Serif never responds to user requests.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.