You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

In Photo for iOS I've created a mask layer with Smart Selection, Refine Selection, output to mask.

Now, I need to edit this mask to further refine it using the Refine Selection tool, but I cannot find the equivalent to "Edit Mask.." that exists in Photo for MacOS.

How can I get a selection from the mask in order to further refine it?

Thanks!

• Staff

Hi Norbert.Weiss,

Welcome to the forums.

The iOS version of Affinity Photo doesn't have the same 'Edit Mask' as the desktop version. You can select the masks layer and switch to the Selection Persona and use the available tools but you won't have the black and white preview.

• 5 months later...

Is this still the case with the new version of Photo that came out in September ?  Watching a video tutorial yesterday, the lady said she preferrred to use NEW layer with mask because it allowed her to go back to edit the mask but didn’t explain how.  I tried but couldn’t, at least in the selection persona.  

• 4 weeks later...

I do so:

• Select mask
  • In Selections Persona: Select Tonal Range -> Select shadows
  • In Selections Persona: Selection As Layer -> Toggle “Edit Selection As Layer
  • I correct the mask
  • In Selections Persona: Selection As Layer -> Toggle “Edit Selection As Layer

then or I recreate the mask or I fill the existing.

• 6 months later...
3 hours ago, mrharpman said:

Any news on that, or is there still no easy way to just work on an layer mask itself?

Do you mean just in black and white?

Select the adjustment layer and in the layers panel, tap the More button ... then tap Solo.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.