jkristia

[Fixed] Surface Pro - color picker is not working

Affinity Photo. The color picker doesn't seem to work right on Surface Pro (Pro4, I5, 8GB) when using the pen. Neither the selected tool nor 'Alt - pen click') works. The selected color on the color wheel turns black. Color picker works correct if I mouse click or trackpad click.

Any settings or workaround for this ?

I have the same problem on my device if I click with the pen. If I drag with the color picker tool selected, the circle will always jump between the current pen position and the last position of the mouse pointer, so I often get the color of the last UI element selected. But for me it works, if I drag the pen while holding Alt or drag the the color picker from the color tab in the sidebar on the right.

just tried dragging, and neither works for me. Alt - pen drag and the picker window jumps between multiple locations, mostly previous mouse location and pen location, but I can see up to 4 locations blinking on the screen, but when I release the selected color is always black.

Selecting the dropper tool and then drag then pen works - sometimes, but not consistent. Click pen with tool selected gives me black.

I have just realized that I have the issue with Alt + pen drag, too. However, dragging the color picker icon from the color panel (or any other color selection dialog) always works for me. The only downside is the additional click on the little circle which is necessary to use the selected color.

Are you all using a Surface? I've noticed the same issue on the iPad versions when using the Apple Pencil. The circle around the outside takes a long time to update with your intended picked colour and due to the sensitivity, it is extremely easy to accidentally get some movement which resets the time it takes to pick the colour you want.

I am still having this issue on my Surface Pro 3. The unreliability of the colour picker when using pen slows down my workflow dramatically. I wish this could be fixed, because besides this one issue I'm enjoying Affinity Photo much more than Photoshop.

@Patrick Thank you :) Yes, it is with the Pen only.

Sometimes it seems to work but I think that this is actually a "conincidence" because the color that you expect to be picked is picked from another pixel. I think that contributes to the problem description "unreliable" color picker. Sometimes you see the detail magnifier picker, appearing somewhere else, sometimes you dont see it.

Having the Radius set to Point (1x1), there are different ways how to select a color: click 1 time on a pixel and "draw a stroke on a pixel" (as in drag and drop on a pixel).

-> both of these ways seem to result in a different color being picked.

-> also, none of these ways picks the correct color

I can still reproduce this in the current beta and I'm also getting some flickering whilst dragging the Colour Picker around. Let me speak to development. 

Update - I've just noticed a fix for this. It looks like it may be fixed for the next beta so please keep your eyes on the beta thread for build 113 or higher (we're currently on 112). If I noticed this before you, I'll update this thread to let you know it is available. Please try it out once it is available and report back here please :) 

I downloaded Affinity Designer Build 135 as supposedly this had been fixed. It has not. The color picker works as intended with the mouse, but still does not work with the pen on the Surface Pro.