You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

hi

I have created a shape and applied a gradient to the stroke. See pic

If I apply a gradient Fill, I can select the Gradient tool and click on the shape to adjust the angle, midpoint, colours, etc of the fill but not the stroke.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to edit a gradient when it's applied to a line. Or at least not the angle to make it go diagonally. In the context menu (stroke) I can change a few things, but not the angle.

Any help much appreciated.

post-59234-0-25385400-1498136882_thumb.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Are you working in Designer or Photo? In Designer, with the gradient tool selected, you have to set "Context" to "Stroke" in the context toolbar. In Photo, I don't know of any direct way to do it – but you can use the rectangle as a masking layer for a fill layer. You can then apply a gradient to the fill layer and freely manipulate it, its visual areas being masked to the rectangle. Of course, this will only work for you when your rectangle has only a stroke and no fill.

Sorry, my bad, I'm using Photo. 1.5.2.69

There is no stroke choice on the Gradient tool Context menu. If I select the shape, as soon as I select the Gradient Tool, I get this (pic) 

I guess this is an option on Designer only ?  I feel so deprived  :(

I think this is a ploy by Serif to get me to buy designer ;)

post-59234-0-47892500-1498144379_thumb.jpg

...I guess this is an option on Designer only ?  I feel so deprived  :(

It's available in the AP Beta 1.6.0.72

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Besides the method @kaffeeundsalz suggested, you can also use an Outline FX, setting the Fill style to Gradient, then select the options you want from the section immediately below. Another option is to add a Gradient Overlay FX to a shape with a stroke and no fill.

Thank you.

I found Outline FX the best option for what I wanted in this case

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...