You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I move layers using the Affinity Photo App

I don't quite understand what you're trying to do. Do you want to change the order of the layers in the layers panel? Then, toltec is right – you just click and drag to arrange them in the desired order. You might want to familiarise yourself with layer masking and clipping to avoid unintended effects.

If instead you mean moving a layer to a different position on the canvas, you need to use the move tool from the toolbar. You can then drag the layer to the desired position in the image. Note that not all layers work this way. You can't e.g. move fill layers, adjustment layers and live filters.

When dragging layers, where your mouse is horizontally changes where the dragged layer goes. There are three places it can go, which are signified by transparent blue bars as you are dragging.

• Keep the mouse to the left of the layer icons to drop the layer at the top level. A horizontal blue bar the width of the layer panel will appear. This is typically done with pixel layers (or adjustments that will affect everything below them).
  • Drag onto the layer icon for masking or nesting. A small vertical blue bar will appear to the right of the icon. This is typically done with masks or adjustment layers.
  • Drag it onto the name of the layer for clipping or nesting. A horizontal blue bar will appear that start under the name and goes across to the right This is typically done with shapes or adjustment layers.

A classic trap when dragging a pixel images is to drop it into a nested position, so it seems to disappear. Remember to keep the mouse to the left of layer icons when doing this kind of move.

For further help, I'd recommend watching the excellent official training videos. I've put notes about them here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/37281-notes-on-in-house-affinity-photo-video-tutorials/

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

• 3 years later...