You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I just installed a trial of Affinity Photo and it seems very capable, however, my existing photo libraries contain many thousands of images. I looked at a tutorial and in it an image was found and opened in a simple document file. Is that the only option? I had no clue about the scope of AP other than its editing functions and that it was considered an Adobe liberator but I think I can see where there is no file management system in this app. If I'm wrong please enlighten me but tell me how and where you import your files and what you do to catalog them.

Thanks

• Staff

Hi peterD,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Photo for iPad is not a DAM (digital assets managements) software as Photos or Lightroom. It doesn't manage libraries nor allows a non-destructive RAW workflow (saving sidecar files or adjustments settings to a database). It's a RAW converter/developer and photo editing app similar to Adobe Camera RAW + Photoshop.

I use Lightroom as a front end, then pass to AP (set AP as editor in LR preferences). You can also use other programme that have a browse facility, like On1.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

The free Adobe Bridge can be configured to open files in AP by default so it works fine for me. But there is a limitation in that it can't thumbnail AP or AD files. (This applies to Mac. I don't know if it holds true of windows as well.) I don't think many DAM's or photo organisers can thumbnail AD & AP unless they use the default system thumbnail. (Again I am speaking for Mac here.)

Often I will use Bridge to organise the material for a project into a project folder and then use AP's own Media Browser dragged onto a second monitor to access them and open/import them while I am working. This means that intermediate files I save out from AP during the course of the project have visible thumbnails because Media Browser can view them.

I'm still using LR as it also seems to do a better job of various processes (HDR, CA, shadows/highlights, etc). Looking forward to Affinity overtaking Adobe in the department.

Dave Straker

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Hi peterD,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Photo for iPad is not a DAM (digital assets managements) software as Photos or Lightroom. It doesn't manage libraries nor allows a non-destructive RAW workflow (saving sidecar files or adjustments settings to a database). It's a RAW converter/developer and photo editing app similar to Adobe Camera RAW + Photoshop.

Thanks, I figured that out. I've since read here that a Dam is in the works and hope to see it released soon. 

All of which begs the question what DAM are you using to import, remame, and browse your files.    

I still use Aperture which I really like for 95% of my workflow but I realize that I need to replace it eventually. I  simply do not like LR  or Capture 1 and do not want to get stuck on a subscription based app. Apple Photos is simply junk and would never consider it. Ill wait until I see something I like and originally thought AP included a Dam, hopefully one is in the works.

So far I've found that Adobe Bridge works, sort of. Af for RAW development, Adobe Lightroom is light(pun intended)years in front of Affinity Photo. The highlights/shadows (the shadows slider in particular) sliders in AF are quite horrible. I sometimes find that Adobe RAW is the best part of both Photoshop and Lightroom.

I compare AP to Photoshop, not Lightroom. The RAW processing in AP is lacking but the photo editing features are right up there. While I use FastRawViewer for vetting my RAW files first I use Capture One Pro for RAW processing which is (one of) the best out there, plus it includes session/catalog management. When I need to "edit" an image I use AP; for example, to remove distracting elements. I'm also happy with AP for printing.

C1 with AP are an alternative to the LR and PS combination, but would like to see AP catch up with LR and C1 for RAW processing and also include session/catalog management.

C1v10 is twice the price of LRv6. Is it worth the difference?

I've fingers crossed that APv2 will catch up so I can dump LR.

Dave Straker

Yes, I personally feel that C1 is worth the extra cost. I've been using it since version 8 and have tried a number of other RAW processors and been unhappy so switched back to C1, I also prefer the UI & UX.

Fingers and toes crossed  :P

PS - DxO Optics Pro did come close to C1 for RAW, but it doesn't have local adjustment and that was a problem me.

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

I've followed this thread and the other ones about DAM carefully, but a very simple question I feel isn't answered: how do you catalogue and manage images with the proprietary .afphoto file format?

As far as I see, .afphoto files neither support metadata, nor sidecar files nor thumbnails bigger than low, low, low resolution finder thumbnails. So how do you rate pictures, how to you tag them with keywords, how do you sort them in collections (aka smart searches), how do you get a preview that let you do a quick look and rating? None of this seems possible with .afphoto files (apart from native finder methods that apply to all image files). 

I don't need a new DAM as a Lightroom replacement nor another raw converter. All I need is a way to catalogue thousands of images in a way described above. Something like Adobe Bridge or Graphics Converter supporting .afphoto files would be good enough.

I feel this is a big disadvantage of .afphoto files that they doesn't support image file management. How do you solve this?

I'm on a Mac and am searching for an Affinity compatible DAM as well. One that correctly displays thumbnails for Affinity Photo as well as Designer would be much preferred. The Finder in OS X does display the thumbnails but it doesn't allow for resizing thumbnails/previews with a keyboard shortcut. I consider this feature to be basic for efficient DAM. I gave XnViewMP a try but that's falling short as well. I'd pay for a full-featured compatible DAM so chime in if anybody has found one for Mac.

17 hours ago, Traveler said:

I'd pay for a full-featured compatible DAM so chime in if anybody has found one for Mac.

You wan't find. The proprietary file format is the issue. This either needs to be addressed by Serif or a "native" DAM developed by Serif is required. No DAM on the market will overcome the boundaries build into the file format.

I have several Pro photographer mates that swear by Photo Mechanic. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/21/2018 at 6:27 AM, Glenar said:

ACDSee does not recognize .afphoto on a Mac. If it does for you, please let me know how you did it. 

Thanks for clarifying that, Glenar. Perhaps John Rostron is using ACDSee on Windows and overlooked that I'm working on a Mac. The search continues.