You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Moving object on screen moves it to another layer

When I move an object on screen, it keeps moving it to another layer.

I think I'm a bit confused with Layers;

• The Edit All Layers button doesn't seem to do anything

• Locking a layer has no effect and only prevents an edit of objects within the layer

• I don't really understand the difference between the pixel layer and the normal layer.

Any help is appreciated.

Hi bowen192

The Edit All Layers button doesn't seem to do anything

If you selected several layers then select the edit all layer any adjustment will apply to all the selected layer.

Locking a layer has no effect and only prevents an edit of objects within the layer

This is exactly what the lock on layer was designed to do.

I don't really understand the difference between the pixel layer and the normal layer.

I would advise going through a few tutorials on layers, please click the link below to get to the online tutorials.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/10119-official-affinity-photo-desktop-video-tutorials-200/

Thanks for the reply. I will check out the resources.

"If you selected several layers then select the edit all layer any adjustment will apply to all the selected layer."

But objects still switch layers. Is there no way to lock a layer or just prevent objects moving between layers?

EDIT: This is driving me nuts now. Every time a move an object it throws it down a layer.

To lock a layer select the layer then on the top of the layers tab select the lock icon, this is covered in the tutorials, I would strongly recommend going through all the tutorials so that you can get the best out of the App.

• Staff

Hi bowen192,

Regarding objects moving between layers this only happens when you move or adjust an object placed over an artboard (on canvas) - it will be automatically moved to the corresponding artboard layer. This is by design.

The Edit All Layers button will limit your ability to edit objects o canvas to just the selected layer (in the Layers panel), so if you try to select an object on canvas belonging to any other layer than the one selected in the Layers panel, Affinity will do nothing/will not select it. With Edit All Layers enabled you can select any object on canvas no matter the layer it belongs to.

Regarding the difference between a pixel layer and a regular layer: a "regular" layer is the usual layer you are used too from other softwares - it's used for organisational purposes and you can customise its colour right-clicking it in the Layers panel, selecting customise and picking a colour. This colour will be applied to the box boundaries/handles of all object inside that layer. Pixel layers are just raster based layers where you can perform raster based operations - like painting with brushes, applying filters etc etc. They are not used as organisational entities. You can look at them as an "object" which can be placed inside regular layers (like any other objects) but that can only be used to deal with raster data.

To lock a layer select the layer then on the top of the layers tab select the lock icon, this is covered in the tutorials, I would strongly recommend going through all the tutorials so that you can get the best out of the App.

I'm an AI user and aware of what the lock icon does. The lock icon isn't the problem.

Hi bowen192,

Regarding objects moving between layers this only happens when you move or adjust an object placed over an artboard (on canvas) - it will be automatically moved to the corresponding artboard layer. This is by design.

OK, but I have multiple layers, each with multiple objects that I cannot edit or move because if I do so it switches to another layer; if Edit All Layers is being used this is doubly frustrating.

The Edit All Layers button will limit your ability to edit objects o canvas to just the selected layer (in the Layers panel), so if you try to select an object on canvas belonging to any other layer than the one selected in the Layers panel, Affinity will do nothing/will not select it. With Edit All Layers enabled you can select any object on canvas no matter the layer it belongs to.

OK. I like that.  :) 

Regarding the difference between a pixel layer and a regular layer: a "regular" layer is the usual layer you are used too from other softwares - it's used for organisational purposes and you can customise its colour right-clicking it in the Layers panel, selecting customise and picking a colour. This colour will be applied to the box boundaries/handles of all object inside that layer. Pixel layers are just raster based layers where you can perform raster based operations - like painting with brushes, applying filters etc etc. They are not used as organisational entities. You can look at them as an "object" which can be placed inside regular layers (like any other objects) but that can only be used to deal with raster data.

Nice feature. The 'Photoshoppy' elements are making more sense to me now.  :)

• Staff

Regarding the issues you are having with artboards, this is mostly due to the way the layers/artboards hierarchy/structure are/is organised on your file. Ideally you should use the artboards as the root where to place all other layers/objects that belong to that artboard. So for example if you are creating a flyer and a business card, you should have an artboard for the flyer and all related layers/object should be a child of that artboard, and another for the business card with all elements of the card placed inside the card's artboard. There may be circuntances where you may need to place objects or layers outside artboards or containing them but as a general rule artboards should be at the top of the layer's hierarchy.

If you have mixed artboards and layers a little randomly you may have some trouble to organise them now. Without seeing your file is difficult to guess what's going on.

• 2 years later...