You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

We need an POWERFULL pencil tool - my feedback

Hey Affinity people!

First of all, Designer looks very nice. It could be my main program in the future. but it lacks here and there and this is what i would like to see.

For me, as an illustrator in vector... i work with the pencil tool A LOT!. the pentool is okey, free drawing on my tablet / cintiq is 'tha best" So pencil power!

Okey, i have tried this workflow and this is what is what happens for me when i do character vector work:

Affinity Designer:

- I draw my desired line with the pencil tool.

- The tool doesn't know that i want to do a correction.If i draw on top of the line it creates a new vector. I need to delete the whole line and do it again also when its just a small part that needs an fix.

- Press N to switch to pentool so node icons appear on top

- press close icon and the object is now closed.

- press N to switch to pencil tool

- create new line.

Adobe Illustrator:

- I draw my desired line with the pencil tool

- draw directly on top of the line to correct it. It will re-shape my previous action. Most of the time its just a minor fix.

- simply hit the line somewhere, it will close.

U see how powerful the pencil tool is in Illustrator vs the long and lack of workflow in Designer. In illustrator i stay in my tool an continue working non-stop where in Designer i need to switch tools and use icons.

I hope this helpfull!

• 4 months later...
On 6/21/2017 at 10:34 AM, Royk said:

Hey Affinity people!

First of all, Designer looks very nice. It could be my main program in the future. but it lacks here and there and this is what i would like to see.

For me, as an illustrator in vector... i work with the pencil tool A LOT!. the pentool is okey, free drawing on my tablet / cintiq is 'tha best" So pencil power!

Okey, i have tried this workflow and this is what is what happens for me when i do character vector work:

Affinity Designer:

- I draw my desired line with the pencil tool.

- The tool doesn't know that i want to do a correction.If i draw on top of the line it creates a new vector. I need to delete the whole line and do it again also when its just a small part that needs an fix.

- Press N to switch to pentool so node icons appear on top

- press close icon and the object is now closed.

- press N to switch to pencil tool

- create new line.

Adobe Illustrator:

- I draw my desired line with the pencil tool

- draw directly on top of the line to correct it. It will re-shape my previous action. Most of the time its just a minor fix.

- simply hit the line somewhere, it will close.

U see how powerful the pencil tool is in Illustrator vs the long and lack of workflow in Designer. In illustrator i stay in my tool an continue working non-stop where in Designer i need to switch tools and use icons.

I hope this helpfull!

+1!