You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPad Pro as main editing machine

I'm currently using an old non-retina macbook pro as my editing machine for my Fuji X100T, and considering switching to this so I have a couple questions.

1. Does this work well for Fuji RAW files? I brought my SD card reader to the apple store and imported some raw files and they're super pixelated in the Photos app, so I'm concerned it won't read them correctly; the only other app I could use on the iPads there was photoshop mix.

2. How much of a performance change will I find if I get a used iPad 9.7"? I typically only do light edits like skin retouching/softening/etc. and I'd like to save some money until the new ones drop in price.

3. What recommendations would you have for workflow? I'm thinking I'd use the lightning to SD card adaptor to import to photos, and then transfer the files to Google Drive or iCloud drive as I'm not sure if I want to spend the extra money on a 256gb iPad. I also would like to be able to work without having a data connection so that's where it breaks down.

4. Not necessarily Affinity related but does anyone know how to add GPS coordinates to RAW files in the iPad? That's the one thing I'd miss from Lightroom Desktop. Other than the Fuji film simulations.

I long ago gave up on my laptop. I use my iPad Pro as my sole computer. I finally have a full featured photo editor with Affinity Photo! I use the iPad Pro, Apple Pencil and Affinity Photo.

There are external storage drives that are compatible with the iPad. :

USB Flash Drives for iPhone 64 GB Pen-Drive Memory Storage, G-TING Jump Drive Lightning Memory Stick External Storage, Memory Expansion for Apple IOS Android Computers (Gold) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTWDJ1Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_JAzszbW1WP9H3

Cricket

I'm looking at the Western Digital My Passport Pro. I have several terabytes of data already so I need more than 64gb of storage. I'm thinking combining that with iCloud Drive/google drive will work great to edit and also be able to access and edit photos I've previously taken.

I'm looking at the Western Digital My Passport Pro. I have several terabytes of data already so I need more than 64gb of storage. I'm thinking combining that with iCloud Drive/google drive will work great to edit and also be able to access and edit photos I've previously taken.

I currently have the WD Drive and love it as a field drive due to the SD reader. While it does allow wifi connection you can't open any files from within the AP IOS app (although from reading this may change with IOS 11, but for now it does not).

What I have to do is open the File using the WD app and then perform an "open in" to send it to AP IOS.  Not the best or quickest way, but it is a way...

Jayce

PS:  I have asked in another thread could the WD drive be added like a cloud service type of system but nothing yet.... Keep hoping right...