You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I add an outline around the whole design?

Dear all,

so I have finished a design that will be printed on grey T-shirts.

I would love to add another small white outline around everything, but everything I try adds outlines to each and every single element so (for example) the blue lighting effect gets lost and the red and the black swoosh get an outline each, but I need one around everything. :-).

I bet this is pretty easy to be done, but I don't know how...

post-27332-0-35413600-1497986070_thumb.png

Photo or Designer ?

In Photo there is an option to Outline a selection by a given amount. Select > Outline.

Obviously, in this case, you would have to select the white background and invert the selection. Select > Invert Pixel Selection

I don't know what options are in Designer

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

I'm assuming the art is all vector work. If so, it is easy. Select all, and make a copy. Group the originals, and lock them. Paste the copies in, and while they ar highlighted, use the boolean add. Change the fill to none, and change the stroke to a white line of whatever size you might need, and have the stroke set to "align stroke to outside" in the stroke dialogue.

Outline.afdesign

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

I'm assuming the art is all vector work. If so, it is easy. Select all, and make a copy. Group the originals, and lock them. Paste the copies in, and while they ar highlighted, use the boolean add. Change the fill to none, and change the stroke to a white line of whatever size you might need, and have the stroke set to "align stroke to outside" in the stroke dialogue.

I am so happy for your comment and your help; and the example you provided is exactly what I want to achieve. But what ever I do, when I add a stroke it adds it to each element. As sson as I use the boolean add function, the whole design becomes black :-(

Oh man, I am in trouble, I have to order the t-shirts and these will take 10 working days to be printed... :-o

Nooooohooo! It was me! I forgott to remove the filling! - Works perfect! Thank you soooo much, gdenby!!!!! :-D

Glad you got it done. Sometimes its the smallest thing that messes up. I had a program that absolutely had to work for a mass mailing fund raiser. Took me 2 frantic days to realize that I'd used the wrong kind of brackets around one of the expressions.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet