You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color swatches should be "live" or optionally "live"

Lets say that I create a new color swatch.

I apply that swatch to an object.

If I changed the color of the swatch, the change should reflect in the object and to any other objects it is applied to, throughout the document.

But, as it is now, it seems that I can't even edit a swatch, once it is created.

Also, it should be possible to create Tints based on color swatches. The tints would also update if the original color swatch was edited.

I know this is becoming annoying, but FreeHand had this working perfectly. Illustrator has the ability of defining colors as "Global" or "Local". All colors in FreeHand were "Global" and, if this is implemented in Affinity Designer (I hope it does), the "Global" mode should be the default one.

Total agreement. Global swatches are a must-have feature for me; they're why I started using Illustrator in the first place. Being able to quickly and precisely change the color scheme of a finished piece is a core part of my creative workflow.

I would love to consider switching away from Illustrator but this is really a crucial thing.

(Oh and don't forget spot color swatches, which are also a thing I can't leave behind - I do tricks with hand separations and special inks when I go to print.)

I am agreeing to this request also. I would like to have full control about the swatches.

Will there be the funktionality to use Pantone or HKS or self defined full tone clours (sorry about my bad english).
This is very important for my work to define / use this kind of colours and to give them names.

Global Colours are also very important.

Regards

Heike

Yeah, total agreement to global color swatches and to tints based on those.

Global colors are absolutely necessary when working on corporate design stuff where defined colors are a vital part of the rule base. Also, being able to change a defined global color from one color model like RGB to another like PANTONE would be helpful.

Yeah, total agreement to global color swatches and to tints based on those.

Global colors are absolutely necessary when working on corporate design stuff where defined colors are a vital part of the rule base. Also, being able to change a defined global color from one color model like RGB to another like PANTONE would be helpful.

Agree.

2009: 27 inch iMac / Intel Core i5 / 2.66 GHz / 16 GB Memory / System: Yosemite 10.10.3 – PRINCIPAL DESIGN SOFTWARE: QuarkXpress 9.5.1, 10.5 and 2015 / Pinegrow Web Designer / Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo / Acorn

Lets say that I create a new color swatch.

I apply that swatch to an object.

If I changed the color of the swatch, the change should reflect in the object and to any other objects it is applied to, throughout the document.

But, as it is now, it seems that I can't even edit a swatch, once it is created.

Also, it should be possible to create Tints based on color swatches. The tints would also update is the original color swatch was edited.

I know this is becoming annoying, but FreeHand had this working perfectly. Illustrator has the ability of defining colors as "Global" or "Local". All colors in FreeHand were "Global" and, if this is implemented in Affinity Designer (I hope it does), the "Global" mode should be the default one.

This is why I love Xara, It's so easy to make global changes to a particular colour.

2009: 27 inch iMac / Intel Core i5 / 2.66 GHz / 16 GB Memory / System: Yosemite 10.10.3 – PRINCIPAL DESIGN SOFTWARE: QuarkXpress 9.5.1, 10.5 and 2015 / Pinegrow Web Designer / Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo / Acorn

I agree, this would be a powerful way to use colour in your documents.

A couple of other ui tweaks that might enhance working with swatches would be to:

- have the colour swatch highlighted some way in the swatch panel so with a quick glance you can see which one it is...

- have the ability to move around swatches. I like to organize colours in dark to light or in hues, currently I don't think this is possible...

- in the effects panel or similar panels where colour is changed or adjusted (inner glow for example) it would be great if the swatches panel was an option as one of the colour choice popups. Currently you have colour wheels and sliders. 9 times out of 10 you're going to want a swatch from your palette of colours for a multiply or screen effect.

Hi TonyB, any thoughts on the other points I made above?

- highlighting swatches in the panel for visible feedback

- moving swatches around in the panel to organize your palette

- access to the swatches in other panels (effects for example)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

IMHO color swatch sets should get stored in the document, rather than being stored in the palette dropdown for all documents to use. I don't need to have all the palettes hanging around for every document I've ever made, but I also don't want to have to reconstruct them when I pull up a five-year-old document...

• 8 months later...

Global swatches are something we already have a our roadmap. 

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Hi TonyB, what about those whishes almost a whole one year after? When will the users get those essential features? Hoping not in a further year.  :(

You know, these are not only whishes?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

Need the linked/live/global colour swatches really bad, too. Like … really bad.  :unsure:

Slightly different but a reasonable alternative would be a »select same → filling/stroke/appearance/…«-option.

Groups/folders for colours would be a nice feature too – optional, but handy in some cases.  ;)

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

• 2 months later...