You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can you import raw files from the iPad photos app

Although apple photos app for the iPad says it supports raw files it appears to only read them and then generate a lower resolution preview for viewing in the photos app.

This means importing raw files into the affinity app from the photos app is not an option.

Is there a workaround without going through the process of uploading the raw file and then having to download it as the only way into affinity?

• Staff

Hi Bikewatch2000,

Welcome to the forums.

If you have the latest build available from the iOS App Store (1.6.2) this allows the importing of RAW from the Apple Photos app. However the app doesn't identify RAW files, so you will need to know which file to select. This is confirmed in Affinity Photo as only a RAW file will open in the Develop persona by default.

Hi Lee

The problem i have is that i transfer my raw files (only raw) directly onto the ipad from the camera via the official usb lightning adapter.

When they are imported into photos, as stated by apple's website, photos generates a jpeg version that is veiwable in photos. The resultant image is reduced to a 1920x1440 jpeg.

Now i would have thought that affinity would load the actual raw file not the generated jpeg. But when i load the "raw" file from photos, although the file prefix is still raw the resolution is at the reduced rate of the photos jpeg 1920x1440 (original resolution was 4608x3456)

Any ideas?

No ideas here. But I have had no problems loading full 6000 x 4000 raw files from my camera's (Sony A7II) SD card using the SD card/lightning adapter into Photos, and then opening them in AP.  Are you certain that your camera is in fact loading the full raw files into Photos on your iPad?

• Staff

Hi Lee

The problem i have is that i transfer my raw files (only raw) directly onto the ipad from the camera via the official usb lightning adapter.

When they are imported into photos, as stated by apple's website, photos generates a jpeg version that is veiwable in photos. The resultant image is reduced to a 1920x1440 jpeg.

Now i would have thought that affinity would load the actual raw file not the generated jpeg. But when i load the "raw" file from photos, although the file prefix is still raw the resolution is at the reduced rate of the photos jpeg 1920x1440 (original resolution was 4608x3456)

Any ideas?

What settings do you have enabled under Settings > Photo & Camera, when you open the image does it open in the Develop persona? Can you also confirm your cameras make and model.

• Staff

Bikewatch2000,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Go to the iPad Preferences, Photo & Camera section and check if you have Optimise iPad Storage checked. This replaces the full-resolution photos with optimised versions which is probably what is being sent from Photos to Affinity Photo. If you change to Download and Keep Originals it should retain/store the full resolution versions on your iPad (make sure you have enough space on your iPad before changing this setting) and send them to Affinity Photo. Apparently (I may be wrong here) there's no way to access the full versions if this setting is enabled because the iCloud Drive interface doesn't expose the images stored in Photos library to the user. Hope iOS 11 improves things here.

Hi Lee

Any ideas?

I'm having the same problem transferring RAW files from my Fujifilm X100T with the USB lightning adapter. I suspect the problem is related to iOS itself because Pixelmator also shows reduced size images.

I use the app "Cascable" to download the raw files from my Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II via WLAN. This is pretty cool because the original olympus app supports only jpeg. With my Ipad Pro i can view the raw files in the photo app like other jpegs. Affinity Photo opens these photo always in the develope-persona. So at least anyone who owns a camera with a WLAN-Connection has a workaround with this app.

• Staff

Hi toxotis70, Picnicmetoo,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Photo for iPad (1.6.2) can now open RAW files from Apple Photos through a small popover. The next update will improve this further adding a full screen browser besides being able to identify/differentiate RAW's from other formats.

I loaded a raw file taken with my Fuji X-E1. The metadata studio shows 1920x1280, consistent with everyone is saying here. However, after it is developed, and saved, (move back to the top page), the saved developed file shows 4896x3264. I suspect that the metadata studio is just showing wrong data.

I have experienced the same thing that you have all indicated when I transfer my photos from my SD Card to my MBP. Once in the cloud, I can't get the raw files to open undeveloped in Affinity Pro Photo.

I bought an Lightning to SD card Camera reader dongle. When I import the raw images straight into the iPad Pro, everything works fine. So.. somewhere in the previous workflow, the files are not working properly, or my settings on either the MBP or the IPad Pro are wrong.

Either way, this is a journey. Can't wait to get to the destination. In the meantime, I am getting off the road and eating a sammich.