ronnyb

Loupe / Zoom tool upgrades

Down with the Zoom tool — Long live the LOUPE!!!

One thing I LOVE about Aperture is it's pioneering Loupe tool. By simply pressing the tilde ( ` ) key, you are presented with a VERY usable tool for inspecting details of the file without having to zoom in on the entire document and loose context. It also works as a color sampling tool, and the user can drag the tool itself or leave it anywhere on top of the image and it updates what's currently under the mouse while in place. You can also change it's size. Another app which uses this is Paper by 53 on the iPad, where you can adjust the loupe to fill almost the entire screen.

Enclosed is a rough rendering of what it could look like... there's tons of videos on Aperture's Loupe tool out there, it's worth a look.

I think this is one of those physical tools that can benefit the computer workflow tremendously if translated to digital form properly, as Apple did in Aperture.

post-1105-0-54712700-1421939354_thumb.png

Loupe.afdesign

2017 15" MacBook Pro 14,3 w/ Intel 4 Core i7 @ 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM, AMD 455 @ 2 GB, 512 GB SSD, macOS High Sierra

It would be a great tool to use with a touch surface, using pinch gesture to set zoom level or with modifier key to resize the loupe itself. The Loupe tool could also integrate the different view modes, a la Split View, but localized to the Loupe, like x-ray vision of your file...

Loupe tool could also work as a sort of color eye-dropper on steroids...

2017 15" MacBook Pro 14,3 w/ Intel 4 Core i7 @ 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM, AMD 455 @ 2 GB, 512 GB SSD, macOS High Sierra

I think Desktop software needs to keep up with the innovations on the tablet space... the tactility that iPhone/iPad brought to software via multitouch, IMHO, is what is sorely missing from the Desktop experience. The mouse is very precise and useful, but it's an abstraction... as artists and makers, our need for physically interacting with our tools is paramount and keeps the process fresh...