You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Drop-down list (menu) sub-menus opens to left

Is there a known bug about this that the sub-menus that should open to right side (arrow points to right side) opens to left even when the menu is on left side of the screen? 

As I find it annoying that Affinity Photo (Windows) opens them to left side while they should go to right side. 

post-55217-0-98507200-1497906011_thumb.png

It only does that (on my system) if there is not enough space within the desktop to open it to the right. Do you only have a small screen, or have the screen to the right?

In these pics I opened up the menu. With the first one the screen was to the left with just enough space to the right to open the sub menu.

With the second pic, I moved the whole Affinity window 2mm to the right, so it opened the sub menu to the left as there was no longer enough space.

Try moving the window to the left a bit, If you can of course.

post-59234-0-67641800-1497908554_thumb.jpg

post-59234-0-72751200-1497908560_thumb.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Is there a known bug about this that the sub-menus that should open to right side (arrow points to right side) opens to left even when the menu is on left side of the screen? 

As I find it annoying that Affinity Photo (Windows) opens them to left side while they should go to right side. 

It's because you have a pen, therefore the menu's change depending on whether the pen settings are set to left or right-handed use.

The settings can be found in Windows Control Panel > Tablet PC Settings > 'Other' tab.

post-29590-0-25350400-1497916339_thumb.png

On Windows 10, the settings can be found by going to Settings > Devices > Pen & Windows Ink > 'Choose which hand you write with'.

post-29590-0-41863800-1497916863_thumb.png

• 3 years later...

I have this issue and cannot figure out how to solve it. It certainly appears to be a bug.

• I am running Windows 10 and the  'Choose which hand you write with' setting is not available (it does not appear under "Pen & Windows Ink").
  • I do not have a tablet or pen plugged into the computer (the computer is a desktop with non-touch monitor).

affinity menu bug.png

pen and ink settings.png

Edited by jjz
added images

Ok so it does look like a Windows setting was causing the issue. Setting Handedness to Left-handed fixed the problem. I was unable to find the setting in the Windows 10 settings app but the Tablet PC Settings can be opened directly using the run command:

Press the Win + R keys to open Run, copy and paste the location below into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Tablet PC Settings.

%windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{80F3F1D5-FECA-45F3-BC32-752C152E456E}

• 9 months later...

This is definitely a bug. I do not have a pen or tablet and noticed this the first time I opened Affinity Photo on Windows 10. Changing the Tablet settings from Right hand to Left hand fixed the issue in Affinity Photo though, but it shouldn't be doing this when no pen device exists. It was driving me crazy with submenus opening to the left.

16 hours ago, jrob007 said:

This is definitely a bug.

But is it a bug in Affinity or in Windows? Are only the Affinity apps affected?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I have this too. Windows 10 Pro (64 Bit), no pen attached, no touchscreen (and therefore the setting doesn't show up in Windows control panel). The workaround described by jjz works, but as it only affects Affinity apps I agree with jjz and jrob that this is a bug with Affinity products.

• 3 weeks later...