You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Watercolor & Ink Simulation

smadell

I confess that I have always been partial to Watercolor & Ink paintings. I suppose they’re something you can either love or hate. Anyway, I set out to create a method to simulate a Watercolor & Ink treatment on a photograph. I have attached a macro that will do this.

1 - Start with a Pixel layer. In most cases, you can open an image as a Background layer.
2 - Click the “Watercolor & Ink Simulation” macro to generate a nice, somewhat stylized image.
3 - The macro generates 2 groups - one for the base colors (the “watercolor” part) and one for the outlines (the “ink” part).
4 - You can adjust many of the parameters to your taste. Expand the “Outline Group” and the “Color Group” to access the individual layers.

I)    In the “Outline Group,” find the “Thicken Outlines” layer. This is a Levels adjustment. If you move the Black Level slider up or down, the outlines will become more or less prominent.
ii)   In the “Color Group,” there is a layer called “Lighten Colors.” This is also a Levels adjustment. Adjusting the Gamma slider up or down will lighten or darken the base colors.
iii)  In the “Color Group,” there is a layer called “Posterize Colors.” This is a Posterize adjustment, and its default value is 8. If you move this up or down, you can inject greater or fewer colors into the image, changing its effect from more realistic to more cartoon-like.

[As an aside, I am indebted to the Affinity Revolution user for his video tutorial entitled “Turn any Photo into a Pencil Drawing,” which formed the basis for much of the “Outline Group” portion of this effect. Thanks, Ezra!]

So, here is a before and after version using an image taken at Hearst Castle in California.

post-12953-0-39709800-1497898994_thumb.jpg

And here is another before and after version taken at a very tourist-laden luau in Hawaii.

post-12953-0-35767500-1497899009_thumb.jpg

Watercolor and Ink.afmacros.zip

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Hallo @Hildegard und willkommen im Forum.

Das Du nur in der Bibliothek einen Eintrag findest hat seine Richtigkeit. Wenn Du auf das Makro "Watercolor and Ink Simulation" mit der rechten Maustaste klickst bekommst Du eine DropDown Liste angezeigt. Wenn Du dann auf 'bearbeiten' klickst, werden alle Schritte angezeigt, die in diesem Makro gespeichert wurden. 

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

@smadell First of all thanks for your macro. It would be nice it you would add a to-RGB-conversion as the first action, because using a CMYK image with your macro leads to unpredictable results.

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta