You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tip for optimal Windows configuration to use AP

Hello,

I use Affinity photo (AP) with a notebook Lenove (i7 (5500), 16 Gb Ram, Nvidia geforce 840m)
And it's much slower than with a mac.

I eventually consider buying a Mac or mounting a more powerful Pc tower.

Are there any users of AP windows version that have a configuration that matches the performance of a mac?

If so, what is this optimal configuration for running AP and what advice do you give to build a powerful and AP compatible  tower?

Thank you for your help.

Best regards

Pk

• Staff

Laptops generally run slower as the hardware is optimised to use less energy and increase battery life so the CPU and memory have lower clock speeds and the hard disk are 5400 rpm models. The specs of your laptop in a desktop will be more than enough to run Affinity Photo.

Mac will generally run a program faster than a PC due to the  Apple hardware using the same configurations for the different models and this allows the Mac OSX can be optimised to get the best out of these components, on a PC there are so many combinations of hardware configurations that it is impossible for Windows to optimise the hardware automatically and has to be done manually.

[...]

Mac will generally run a program faster than a PC due to the  Apple hardware using the same configurations for the different models and this allows the Mac OSX can be optimised to get the best out of these components, on a PC there are so many combinations of hardware configurations that it is impossible for Windows to optimise the hardware automatically and has to be done manually.

Not really.

All the graphic applications I used, from Adobe to 3d programs, run faster on PC/windows.

I've worked in different companies on both systems from about 20 years now, and when it came to speed, the choice it's always been PC/Win.

The fact that Mac can rely on consistent configuration doesn't mean better performance, it probably means more stability although, with a good configuration and proper use, Windows is very stable as well.

Also, it's worth to notice that, especially in the past few years, the increased use of fast GPUs has become more and more popular, leaving Mac users with very restricted choices, considered the lack of support for Nvidia/CUDA.

From Adobe, to 3d, to editing suites (DaVinci, Premiere...), they all take advantage of fast GPUs.

Last but not least, PC can have consistent configuration as well, in fact all the big companies, from Microsoft to Autodesk, from Maxon to Adobe, recommend such configurations.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

Not really.

All the graphic applications I used, from Adobe to 3d programs, run faster on PC/windows.

I've worked in different companies on both systems from about 20 years now, and when it came to speed, the choice it's always been PC/Win.

The fact that Mac can rely on consistent configuration doesn't mean better performance, it probably means more stability although, with a good configuration and proper use, Windows is very stable as well.

Also, it's worth to notice that, especially in the past few years, the increased use of fast GPUs has become more and more popular, leaving Mac users with very restricted choices, considered the lack of support for Nvidia/CUDA.

From Adobe, to 3d, to editing suites (DaVinci, Premiere...), they all take advantage of fast GPUs.

Last but not least, PC can have consistent configuration as well, in fact all the big companies, from Microsoft to Autodesk, from Maxon to Adobe, recommend such configurations.

Thanks for your feedback very same

I agree with you regarding the performance of Pc and Mac.

But the fact is that AP works better on mac, and this is due to the software.

And the serif policy is clearly oriented to  Mac's users, unlike Adobe where, for example, lightroom works just as well on Pc as on Mac!

That's why I hesitate to buy a Mac, but in this case it would be just to use AP in good conditions, the Pc version has many bugs and what works well in the Pc version works more slowly on Pc!!

Best regards

Pk

But the fact is that AP works better on mac, and this is due to the software.

And the serif policy is clearly oriented to  Mac's users, unlike Adobe where, for example, lightroom works just as well on Pc as on Mac!

Hi pknew.

It is perhaps worth mentioning that Photoshop began life as an app that ran only on the old "Classic" PPC powered Mac OS, & that not until v2.5 in 1992 was there a Windows version. The code had to be completely changed to run on x86 CPUs & initially the Windows version was pretty doggy. In the next several years, sometimes Macs got feature & performance improvements first, & sometimes Windows did. Eventually, Apple & Adobe developed what might be called a "frenemy" relationship that many believe caused Adobe to neglect the Mac apps, but in recent years that does not seem to be true, if it ever was.

Anyway, while the Affinity apps are currently better optimized for Macs than Windows, I do not believe this is the result of any specific Serif/Affinity policy. Somewhat like with the early development of PS, the initial development of the Affinity apps was done on Macs, so at this point in the development cycle the apps are not yet as well optimized for Windows or as bug free as they eventually will be.

I would not be surprised if, like with PS, there will be times when the apps are better optimized for Windows than for the Mac OS. But it won't happen overnight, so if you need to rely on Affinity right now, a Mac might be your best bet, even though it may not be in a year or two.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi pknew.

Anyway, while the Affinity apps are currently better optimized for Macs than Windows, I do not believe this is the result of any specific Serif/Affinity policy. Somewhat like with the early development of PS, the initial development of the Affinity apps was done on Macs, so at this point in the development cycle the apps are not yet as well optimized for Windows or as bug free as they eventually will be.

I would not be surprised if, like with PS, there will be times when the apps are better optimized for Windows than for the Mac OS.......

Hi RC-R,

Thank you for your insightful opinion, this will help me.

Best regards

Pk