You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Transparency Tool - Context control

It would be really useful if the Transparency Tool would allow user selection of Fill or Stroke Context in the option toolbar, like the Gradient tool allows...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff

The Transparency Tool acts on an object, not a fill or a stroke - it makes the object act as a composite for the purposes of adjusting the overall transparency. If it was possible to edit both the fill and stroke transparency separately it would be very awkward to make the object just fade out without seeing the semi-transparent stroke and fill interacting with each other and making a slightly less transparent area.

Hope that makes some sense? :)

Matt

Yeah it does... but now if I wanna do it I have to tunnel into each individual color and add transparency.... would be nice to have "ONE TOOL TO RULE THEM ALL!"  :D But it may make a better 2.0 upgrade...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

How about O for Opacity? Although in Photoshop, O is the shortcut for the Burn tool... Might as well add this to the Burn tool while you're at it... ;P

Or what about Shift + G, as in a variation of the Gradient tool (Opacity gradient) ?

2 more cents...

Haha, of course Matt, hypothetically speaking... any key would work that hasn't been taken yet. Ideally preference would be for a one key solution as opposed to a shift or option plus key but really anything that is close to the left side (sorry left-handers) of the keyboard would work. Even the ( ` ) key just below the escape key could do it or "shift-z"... cheers for considering it though.

I think this is where the customize your own key shorts ability would come into play, dare I raise that discussion. But meanwhile a default shortcut for this tool would be nice... cheers Matt again for responding on this, I do use "transparency" continually. Right now it looks like "q, w, s, d, x  and c are available... any of those would do it for me.

Cheers.

Hey ronnyb7 you changed your avatar, I didn't recognize you... what's the loupe tool about?

Hey @retrograde, the Loupe is a tool I would love to see implemented in AD, as a more functional love child of the Zoom and Eyedfopper tool. Check out Apple's implementation in Aperture.

Here's a thread I started on it...

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/4227-loupe-zoom-tool-upgrades/?fromsearch=1

That loupe idea looks interesting... anything that improves the experience would be welcomed, although I've never felt the desire for such a feature... I've always been satisfied with the normal zoom paradigm... but perhaps I'm missing something. I think I can see it's effectiveness in a touch screen situation as a quick magnification with one click (touch)