You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer: measure line/path length

• 1 month later...

I too am frustrated that the length of a simple line segment cannot be measured in Affinity, even though the math behind is pretty basic stuff. i.e. Diagonal = sqrt(Height^2 + Width^2) is all you need to know. Draw your line segment. Select the line object. In the info box note the height and width of the object's bounding box. Plug the height and width dimensions into the above formula and you will have the diagonal.

Please add this feature!

On 12/21/2020 at 6:40 PM, MJSfoto1956 said:

I too am frustrated that the length of a simple line segment cannot be measured in Affinity, even though the math behind is pretty basic stuff. i.e. Diagonal = sqrt(Height^2 + Width^2) is all you need to know. Draw your line segment. Select the line object. In the info box note the height and width of the object's bounding box. Plug the height and width dimensions into the above formula and you will have the diagonal.

Please add this feature!

Simply providing the measure of straight segments would be already sub-standard. No, it's not as simple as the Pythagorean Theorem, but we're one-fifth into the 21st century. Length (and area, frankly) should be shown for any path, as it is in competing software.

JET

• 1 month later...

As of version 1.8.5.703 there is a window called "Transform" that will display the width and height of a selected object.

It also gives the X and Y position relative to the ruler, so you could drag the 0 point of the ruler to the side of object one, and select object two, the X or Y will give you the distance between these two objects.

It is limited in that a line drawn on an angle will not show it's true length nor show radius of a circle, but it's a start 😊

Transform.png

9 hours ago, Daini42 said:

As of version 1.8.5.703 there is a window called "Transform" that will display the width and height of a selected object.

I could have sworn this has been available since version 1.0 from 2014??!?!?! now I'm confused

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

8 hours ago, MEB said:

Version 1.9 has some improvements here when you have a line selected. See screenshot below (Transform panel):

Hi @MEB,

out of curiosity since we are in the Designer for Windows forum and your screenshot is from a Mac. Is this coming to the Windows version 1.9, too? Even though we are aving a release candidate, already.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

13 minutes ago, dominik said:

out of curiosity since we are in the Designer for Windows forum

No, this is the platform-agnostic Feedback forum. 

Good question, though :)

Edit: see screenshot below.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just now, walt.farrell said:

No, this is the platform-agnostic Feedback forum. 

Oh, sorry. It was a long day.

After all, I assume it will come to Windows, too, and I am looking forward to it. No matter if it's in 1.9 or later 🙂

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

7 minutes ago, dominik said:

Oh, sorry. It was a long day.

After all, I assume it will come to Windows, too, and I am looking forward to it. No matter if it's in 1.9 or later 🙂

It's in 1.9 on Windows, too.

image.png.a7bd857506913ee043044843317b5bcd.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It's in 1.9 on Windows, too.

Now I'm starting to get confused. Before I posted I tried this with my latest Windows beta and it did not show up.

After your post I looked again and discovered it. It turns out, it is only visible when a straight line is selected with the V (Move) Tool. It does not show up with the Pen Tool active on a straight line.

d.

PS: forgot to add the time between 'looking forward to' and 'being happy about' has never been so short than today 😉

• Staff
40 minutes ago, dominik said:

Hi @MEB,

out of curiosity since we are in the Designer for Windows forum and your screenshot is from a Mac. Is this coming to the Windows version 1.9, too? Even though we are aving a release candidate, already.

d.

Yes, these changes are available in both platforms.

54 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Also visible with nodetool when selecting all nodes

And there is even more: if one selects two adjacent nodes that are connected by a straight segment and they are part of a multinode stroke the new node length display also shows up. And can be modified with the mouse or by manual input.

d.

25 minutes ago, haakoo said:

And when using the 3 points selector you can rotate or change length and the direction

Yes indeed. I really start liking this new addition. I can imagine this could be helpful to create an exact floorplan.

d.

• 2 weeks later...