You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Still think AP sharing your work.

Sharkey

Very few photographs on SYW.

Lots of design.

Is photography not work. Designing, painting and drawing in AP?

Very little sign of the Photography part - even from me.

Share your photographs produced in AP!

Perhaps a change of Title IS all that is needed to bring the photographers out into the community, sharing their work. Just a repeated thought.

Regards.   Sharkey. 

MacPro (late 2013), 24Gb Ram, D300GPU, Eizo 24",1TB Samsung 850 Archive, 2x2Tb Time Machine,X-t2 plus 50-140mm & 18-55mm. AP, FRV & RawFile Converter (Silkypix).

• Staff

Hi Sharkey,

I also noted that. Sometime ago there was a couple users sharing/discussing their photography work - from bird photography to image compositing - but suddenly they disappeared from the forums. I suppose they are busy with some projects and only post when possible/between projects. I also miss those threads. There was some impressive work there.

+1. Someone like myself that uses both AP & AD really appreciates seeing others' work for inspiration. (As in, hey, that gives me an idea for my next project!)

Thinking about your comments above also made me realize the subtle (repeat: subtle) difference between posted AP & AD shared work: With photos the technique in achieving the edited result is the first thought. With vector drawings the initial artistic impression is the first thought. At least for me, I look at someone's photo and think about the mastery of the editing, then my 2nd thought is, "How did they get that shot?" But with a vector my first thought is what a wonderful design, then my 2nd thought is, "How did they get that surface effect?"

Maybe that is just me. I also notice I can do a lot with both AP & AD, but I'm not the expert in either of the apps that other forum members are. Maybe focusing on one app would have increased my skill in the one.

Bottom line, I miss the photos posted too.

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

I feel the forum as  a resource for the learning.

It's not easy to learn a development technique by looking at just the photo, each photo should have a list of development work, this would be a better improvement in the forum, not just to see how good one is.

with a full frame +  85mm 1.2 also a beginner is able to took a decent portrait, in this case the contribute of AP to the final quality is negligible.

It's not easy to learn a development technique by looking at just the photo, each photo should have a list of development work, this would be a better improvement in the forum, not just to see how good one is.

Understandably, users don't always want to share all the secrets of their technique, but if they would at least show 'before' and 'after' versions it would be easier to appreciate how much of the final image is the result of post-processing.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I feel the forum as  a resource for the learning.

with a full frame +  85mm 1.2 also a beginner is able to took a decent portrait, in this case the contribute of AP to the final quality is negligible.

Understandably, users don't always want to share all the secrets of their technique, but if they would at least show 'before' and 'after' versions it would be easier to appreciate how much of the final image is the result of post-processing.

How much information on the production and capture is obviously up to the poster. Technique? Not sure on that word in this context.

The great David Bailey told me (whilst sharing a urinal) to 'focus the camera on the subject' and 'concentrate on the background' if I wanted to sell images.

Make of that what you will.

All I am suggesting is that posting your photographic efforts (digital photographic) might seem more attractive to visiting browsers and new users if 'Share your Photos' was a place to do it. Tis All.

In general there seems to be more sharing amongst the Design groups than the Photo group and I don't see that me starting to post, on my own, by my self is going to improve that. However I will make the effort over the next few days/weeks - maybe with a "Share my Photo" heading on each one just to push home the point of my point ;) .

Regards.    Sharkey

MacPro (late 2013), 24Gb Ram, D300GPU, Eizo 24",1TB Samsung 850 Archive, 2x2Tb Time Machine,X-t2 plus 50-140mm & 18-55mm. AP, FRV & RawFile Converter (Silkypix).

_DSF1021_zps3vdufosw.jpg

"Going the Same Way"

First of the 'Sharing My Photos' posts.

INFO:-  taken with Fuji X-T2 plus 10-24mm WA zoom. Mostly a sharpen plus dodge&burn to produce the mood I wanted. Originally slightly under exposed to ensure cloud detail and the curve adjustment to bring out shadow detail.

It was an overall moody decay that appealed originally; I hope this is somewhere near.

Regards.   Sharkey

It was an overall moody decay that appealed originally; I hope this is somewhere near.

It does it for me! thumbup1.gif

Alfred spacer.png

.... Mostly a sharpen plus dodge&burn to produce the mood I wanted. ...

I prefer the original.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I prefer the original.

I don't understand the comment.

Regards.   Sharkey

Exactly, without the original how can we tell if you made it better, botched it up, or could have done it another way.

Totally pointless to post post-production images without seeing the original, in a photo software manipulation forum

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Exactly, without the original how can we tell if you made it better, botched it up, or could have done it another way.

Totally pointless to post post-production images without seeing the original, in a photo software manipulation forum

A simple suggestion or even a question would have sufficed, I would suggest.

Would you prefer the OOC jpg or an undeveloped (other than default settings) of the Raf file.

Quite happy to post either reduced for web obviously.

As a first posting open to whatever comments, cryptic followed by somewhat aggressive was not expected. Ah well :mellow: 

Regards.   Sharkey

Just a thought.

Is there a consensus as to guide lines for posting work with production details.

You know, original (which one) methods used or exact buttons pressed. Goal set at start of production or capture.

Simple 1 to 4 guide would be good start - maybe?

To just say 'ere it is would not be the best. So just how much is right to start off a post for further discussion?

Regards.   Sharkey 

original (which one)

I would have thought the JPEG would be best, since (unlike the raw file) it can be viewed directly in the browser.

Alfred spacer.png

I would have thought the JPEG would be best, since (unlike the raw file) it can be viewed directly in the browser.

Understood.

Problem 1/  my OOC is dependant on which film type I choose in camera (this was 'Velvia') and there are in most cameras default and customer preferences for the jpg output. Get my drift? Another choice available to me is 'Acros' which is a mono jpg..

No matter how you look at it there is a real problem with choosing which "original" to post for comparison purposes :( .

'carl123' comments was very apposite in that there should be a before and after. The hard question being what constitute a 'before' that is usable by all contributors?

On my desktop I have four versions of that image. Two RAW (opened in different apps) and two jpg, one OOC and one from exported AP default 'develop persona'.

The RAW file are IMO too large to upload +50Mb so my guess would be the jpg from the 'developed persona' with the default settings.

Wotcha Think?

Regards.   Sharkey

First of the 'Sharing My Photos' posts.

INFO:-  taken with Fuji X-T2 plus 10-24mm WA zoom. Mostly a sharpen plus dodge&burn to produce the mood I wanted. Originally slightly under exposed to ensure cloud detail and the curve adjustment to bring out shadow detail.

Regards.   Sharkey

Guess I'm just "easy" as I like your edited moody result, especially the water puddles on the pier. Don't know if you affected them, I'm just glad you didn't remove them.

A "before" shot would have been fun but I don't need it to just enjoy what I see. So my take on the posters' points above: If you want to learn you need a before & after; if you want to enjoy, you only need the result. IMHO, that is up to who posts the sample. :)

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

IMO, a user showing his/her artwork, photos, design, etc, should not be pressured to teach others how the piece was made. There are tons of tutorials out there, and most techniques are totally portable to AP/AD, as they are using totally the standards in 2D editing for the UI. Indeed, I myself made a tutorial that was mainly porting an old Illustrator (inking) technique, perfectly portable to AD !... Even more, there are already a ton of tutorials (and even sites dedicated to Affinity tools tutorials!). I for one would still need time to do artwork samples just for this gallery, as almost 99% of what I do am not allowed to show until published, and are very long term projects.

Most forum galleries on inet, be it from an app's forum, or just art forums do not have any sort of requirement to explain tricks or stuff -which indeed, a lot of artists are not eager to teach- and demanding from them (us) tuts and work-throughs imo is a bit out of place. A kind request, maybe, but even that is a bit going over the line, IMO. Every single time I have seen that showing up -and I have been in a ton of art related forums-  this ends up in artists not willing to post a thing, which is very negative for the apps and the community as a whole. Plus, nothing teaches faster than actually doing things, even better if complex and hard to accomplish.... An extremely wise statement from Seneca:  "It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult."

I do not need either to see the before and after of any Velazquez or Vermeer picture to absolutely admire and enjoy those master pieces during hours...

Even more, I want to find my own way to reaching there ! But yeah, that's my personal take at it. And when one is very stuck in a very technical problem, everything has been explained in all possible ways, in youtube there are tons of tutorials, and techniques are incredibly common across different applications. Of course, is best to just go to affinity's oficial tutorials (and documentation), and also users' made tutorials sites , video channels at Vimeo, etc, etc, etc. Just googling it, is amazing the huge options that there are now for this... I'm not a tutorials person, but just did made the test now, and the amount is crazy.... IMO, gallery should be just a safe place for artists to show their work, without any more extra requirements or conditions. The more art shown here, the best for the Affinity applications and their diffusion, imo...that's my 2 cents.

Also, if at a forum there's more photography at a moment, or more design, I take it that forums are a bit like a wild animal, an organic being, one can't control it. Indeed, in past times I thought there was too much of photography in the gallery and little of painting or comic. (I still think there's too little of them all, for such a good pair of apps) .  It will vary in the future in many ways, it's in artists' communities nature, nothing to worry about.

A gallery is a gallery (there is a tutorials and a resources section for the learning material, IMO).  The contribution is already made by showing what the apps are capable of. There are tons of tutorials already. These tools need to show the quality that they are capable of. A pic and "made with AP" (or AD) is already doing a lot of good (if the piece is good, of course) to Affinity, in my book.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

IMO, a user showing his/her artwork, photos, design, etc, should not be pressured to teach others how the piece was made. There are tons of tutorials out there, and most techniques are totally portable to AP/AD, as they are using totally the standards in 2D editing for the UI. Indeed, I myself made a tutorial that was mainly porting an old Illustrator (inking) technique, perfectly portable to AD !... Even more, there are already a ton of tutorials (and even sites dedicated to Affinity tools tutorials!). I for one would still need time to do artwork samples just for this gallery, as almost 99% of what I do am not allowed to show until published, and are very long term projects.

Most forum galleries on inet, be it from an app's forum, or just art forums do not have any sort of requirement to explain tricks or stuff -which indeed, a lot of artists are not eager to teach- and demanding from them (us) tuts and work-throughs imo is a bit out of place. A kind request, maybe, but even that is a bit going over the line, IMO. Every single time I have seen that showing up -and I have been in a ton of art related forums-  this ends up in artists not willing to post a thing, which is very negative for the apps and the community as a whole. Plus, nothing teaches faster than actually doing things, even better if complex and hard to accomplish.... An extremely wise statement from Seneca:  "It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult."

I do not need either to see the before and after of any Velazquez or Vermeer picture to absolutely admire and enjoy those master pieces during hours...

Even more, I want to find my own way to reaching there ! But yeah, that's my personal take at it. And when one is very stuck in a very technical problem, everything has been explained in all possible ways, in youtube there are tons of tutorials, and techniques are incredibly common across different applications. Of course, is best to just go to affinity's oficial tutorials (and documentation), and also users' made tutorials sites , video channels at Vimeo, etc, etc, etc. Just googling it, is amazing the huge options that there are now for this... I'm not a tutorials person, but just did made the test now, and the amount is crazy.... IMO, gallery should be just a safe place for artists to show their work, without any more extra requirements or conditions. The more art shown here, the best for the Affinity applications and their diffusion, imo...that's my 2 cents.

Also, if at a forum there's more photography at a moment, or more design, I take it that forums are a bit like a wild animal, an organic being, one can't control it. Indeed, in past times I thought there was too much of photography in the gallery and little of painting or comic. (I still think there's too little of them all, for such a good pair of apps) .  It will vary in the future in many ways, it's in artists' communities nature, nothing to worry about.

A gallery is a gallery (there is a tutorials and a resources section for the learning material, IMO).  The contribution is already made by showing what the apps are capable of. There are tons of tutorials already. These tools need to show the quality that they are capable of. A pic and "made with AP" (or AD) is already doing a lot of good (if the piece is good, of course) to Affinity, in my book.

Wow.

Not often someone takes the time to be that detailed in their response. Excellent.

OP was really about splitting the subject heading on the site to AP work sharing and another for AD work sharing. That kinda developed into a 'freeforall' about posting etiquette and what was right and positive to add by way of information about the image production.

The notes provided (or not) by the poster are obviously at their discretion and not really the point of my OP. However, splitting the topics for ease of selection and attractiveness to new visitors is, I think a far less contentious question.

If there is to be a 'posting opportunity', then I am suggesting one for each of the major software products being represented. That is all.

Multiple site exist for ego massaging and posting 'oneupmanship' so it is not the hunger for praise or self indulgence that moves me to suggest this but the simple thought that it might actually work better for all site users if it were so.

Regards.   Sharkey 

Plus, nothing teaches faster than actually doing things, even better if complex and hard to accomplish.... An extremely wise statement from Seneca:  "It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult."

Nice quotation. :)

What would the "before" of a Velazquez or a Vermeer look like? Asking for the "before" of some Affinity Designer work would be similarly nonsensical, but with Affinity Photo there is always a difference between what comes out of the camera and what is exported from the program (and if there isn't, it would be more appropriate to post the photo to a photography forum instead of here).

Even more, I want to find my own way to reaching there ! But yeah, that's my personal take at it. And when one is very stuck in a very technical problem, everything has been explained in all possible ways, in youtube there are tons of tutorials, and techniques are incredibly common across different applications. 

I agree with all of the above. Although it can be interesting to gain some insight into the methods used to get from A to B, I don't think it's right for users to demand even a brief explanation, let alone a step-by-step tutorial.

Alfred spacer.png

To me, adding [AP]  or [AD] to the subject is a good idea.

Posting images and be done with it has still some big advantages, specially if the art is good. Demonstrating that pros can do stuff with these apps just like we do with Adobe's, Corel's, etc benefits tremendously the A. suite as a whole.  All colleagues I know only get a slight interest to remove their noses for a moment out of their Adobe apps that they use at the companies - none of them are freelancers like me now - if they see very top quality stuff produced with the apps. If not, tutorials, screenshots, etc, wont move them a single bit. And they are very important... is how an app gets really relevant in the business (and if  they don't, that can be real bad news). And the fight is Against the Adobe giant, and one or two of Corel... I know many artists wouldn't dare to post any image at all if people complain that the images are not coming with a walk through, a tutorial, or a several steps screenshot gallery. And not because of being selfish (well, for some, yep, would be an extra reason), but because that means a ton of time more, and also, might feel that thing as a bit too demanding from other users (which it is). That would be really bad. One of the factors for the huge Blender community and awareness growth was thanks to several super talented individuals posting their art  ("Wow...And that was made with Blender? ") . Just like people do at CG Society, etc.  A tutorial (or screenshots of a before and after) can eventually show up, but if the artist initially felt in the mood and mostly with time to do so. Or if someone very kindly asks for it. Complaining that an artist didn't do so is what I find very strange, to be honest. ( I don't mean you...)

Cheers,

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

What would the "before" of a Velazquez or a Vermeer look like? Asking for the "before" of some Affinity Designer work would be similarly nonsensical, but with Affinity Photo there is always a difference between what comes out of the camera and what is exported from the program (and if there isn't, it would be more appropriate to post the photo to a photography forum instead of here).

Fair point... I'm no photographer (well had it as a subject in Fine Arts, but that's it) , but I see the point of that. ( It just has not been the only thing demanded in the thread, though...)

Fair point... I'm no photographer (well had it as a subject in Fine Arts, but that's it) , but I see the point of that. ( It just has not been the only thing demanded in the thread, though...)

OK.

Demanded?

I have tried to read all the posts of theme and up to now I have not seen 'demand' used.

Having started down this road as a professional photographer quite a while ago my original workflow to produce prints (arty, reportage and decoration) was to steer, as much as possible away from the dark room. Finding and learning to communicate with three printers in my area of work in time left a fair collection of work exchanged for cash, so a happy bunny me.

Changing to digital was a shock for my system of mammoth proportions, to the extent that my work almost dried up altogether.

Learning the digital darkroom techniques I needed was a hill I would not climb again for almost any reason. The pressure involved in trying to keep up with younger, more knowledgable people was draining and dispiriting. Getting the basics and sticking to my own knowledge base as to taking the image got me through to retirement.

The reason I bring this up is simple.

Mine is a simple suggestion; not a theoretical discourse on the ethics of sharing technique, internet manners or any other sub subject.

Just having two 'My Work' categories.

Just noticed "pioneer" has posted an image with a mention of this theme. Perhaps it is not that difficult to grasp after all.

Regards.    Sharkey