You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Joining paths the way we want them to join?

when I have two paths to join, it crosses over..in other words, rather than joining both of their right ends, it joins the right end of one path to the left point of the other path. reverse curves helps none at all.

How can I instruct AD to join the paths I want in the way I want to join them?

Is this impossible in AD?

thanks!

OK..it seems that in AD, you have to begin with a closed shape, then cut off the bit you want, and close THAT. rinse and repeat for as many paths as you're doing.

I'm accustomed to getting all the little path segments cut loose first and THEN joining those...

• Staff

From the sound of that, you can't join ends without changing the shape of the paths involved, am I correct?

Yes, if you drag one of the nodes you're changing the corresponding path. Currently If you don't want to move them you can only do it manually drawing a path conecting the ends you want and joining them. Matt's improvement will make this easier in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Matt, I thought this was working a while back. I've just tried connecting two different straight path ends and can't. What am I missing? This is pretty fundamental stuff is it not...? See attached, I'm trying to connect the 2 horizontal lines with a vertical line... (shown as dashed)  Sorry for sounding perturbed but I am perturbed  ;)

Latest beta 1.1.2.22384  Is this broken in the beta?

post-305-0-73812100-1423107013_thumb.png

• Staff

It's working the same way it was before.

If you draw two lines and press Join Curves Affinity will create a line to join the closest end points of the paths. In this case (when you want that Affinity create a line to join the paths) you don't need to have Snap to selected curves enabled.

When you want to join two paths dragging one end node of one path over the other (without creating an additional path to joint them) you must have Snap to selected curves enabled.

@retrograde

It always worked like this. If it seems to have worked for you earlier, it's probably because the end nodes of the paths you wanted to join were the closets ones?

So @MEB, AD disregards the two nodes I selected to join and chooses the two closest ones? Hmmm, that's really odd behavior... I would prefer it if the app let me choose where I want to join the curves. Maybe it's on the roadmap...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

If that's how it's always been then I guess I haven't tried to join to separate paths like that before...

I agree that that behaviour is unexpected and it should respect your node selection as the default. Hope this will be fixed soon.  :)

Got it @MEB, thanks for clarifying that. At least there's a viable work-around, that's the most important thing for now. I totally understand, the team is plenty busy laying out this amazing groundwork, and many of these smaller "issues" will be corrected in due time...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17