You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Overthinking the Adjustments Gallery

The adjustments gallery is a nice gimmick and some of the shortcuts are even quite handy. But for some tools there are no previews because of their complex nature and for others the previews carry no useful information at all. No serious photographer takes on photo editing by tapping together random modifications by thumbnails. The gallery approach also sacrifices swiftness by focusing on misguiding optical stimuli. It took me ages to find the tool for selective colour correction (“HSL adjust”, which lacks orange and purple, by the way) from that messy gallery because the thumbnail did not nearly look like something I would like to do with the image in question. But maybe it's just me. Any thougths on that?

• Staff

Hi,

The lack of thumbnails in some categories is not because they are complicated - its just that we don't ship any presets for those adjustments. The main "adjustments" list allows adding of all adjustments in their default state. The other lists allow adding of adjustment presets - which you can create from each adjustment tool.

That said, I agree to an extent..

I have created my own adjustment presets for the adjustments which I use frequently - and removed the default ones. Now I get useful thumbnails everywhere - including the main list (which uses the first preset if available).

Soon, we will add the ability to switch to a simple list of adjustment names instead of thumbnails - as well as the ability to sort the list by most-frequently-used, as opposed to alphabetically - which at times I do find frustrating.

Hope this helps,

A

Andy, thanks for the clarification. I have now a better understanding of the gallery. Your preview of the changes is exciting and should make this feature enjoyable for everyone. Maybe you could consider switching on and off thumbnails on an item by item basis since some of the more frequent used presets would be nice to have as visual cues while others can go without …

Soon, we will add the ability to switch to a simple list of adjustment names instead of thumbnails - as well as the ability to sort the list by most-frequently-used, as opposed to alphabetically - which at times I do find frustrating.

Yay!

• 4 weeks later...

Having the choice is great, but from time to time I rely on thumbnails to swift through the extensive presets (I'm not an advanced designer).

On that note, I would like to see accurate thumbnails, please refer to the attached video.

The initial state of the image is a non-flipped one, and thumbnails doesn't seem to take any modification into consideration.

Granted, that would involve having small snapshots generated for the thumbnail preview (using resources), but rather have such accurate thumbnail previews, or none at all.

0C6F12A8-1CBF-49D3-BCD7-3036913DF0BB.MOV

• 4 weeks later...

I do agree with OP that the current behaviour is a bit confusing using previews for both presets and regular ajustment layers. I think the distinction should be more pronounced and also the previews take up a lot of screen real estate. I like PS' ajustment layer panel using icons. No need to scroll and I know what the icons mean and do.

The previews should only be present for presets and ajustmentlayers with presets should be sepperated in the interface. Now it's confusing and annoying for people who are already familiar with

On 18-6-2017 at 0:06 PM, Andy Somerfield said:

[...]

That's great to hear. Can't wait! I like the categorization, but (again) I would like this with the presets separately.