You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have viewed the above video and any other video I could find on Curves Adjustments.  

I open up a picture and duplicated it.  Brought up the Curves Adjustment layer by clicking at bottom of

layers panel on ADJUSTMENTS AND THEN CURVES.  Next I click on the Picker and went to my

picture to click on a red shirt.....a node will not appear on the curves layer in the popup.  I even tried

double click the picker with no results.  Apparently I am not doing it right but I was following how he

did it in the Video????    Can someone tell me how to click on the picture and a node will appear

on the curve adjustment layer?

DonS

It's a rather unexpected behaviour that got me to begin with too.  ;)

If you think about how it works it should not be too unexpected. The picker actually does two things. First it sets where on the curve the node initially will be placed & then it sets how far from that point it will be displaced. Clicking does the first & dragging does the second. So if you click without dragging, the node would not be displaced at all & it will have no effect.

Note that for this picker, only the vertical distance dragged on the image has any effect, mirroring how the node moves on the curve.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

If you think about how it works it should not be too unexpected. The picker actually does two things. First it sets where on the curve the node initially will be placed & then it sets how far from that point it will be displaced. Clicking does the first & dragging does the second. So if you click without dragging, the node would not be displaced at all & it will have no effect.

Note that for this picker, only the vertical distance dragged on the image has any effect, mirroring how the node moves on the curve.

Er Yes ......... and No ........  ;)

I follow your reasoning entirely but I still find it odd. The thing that caused the poster difficulty (and me too) is that you would expect the node to first appear when you click and then to move as you displace. This is how it happens in 'the app that must not be named' and it seems entirely logical. I still find all of AP's pickers rather disconcerting in this respect.  :unsure:

Placing a node on the graph without moving it is also absolutely necessary and not possible yet

There are more issues with curves still

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/22624-curves-and-blend-if-picker-size-visibility/?p=106288

If you want to keep a certain tonality as is

Cheers

Placing a node on the graph without moving it is also absolutely necessary and not possible yet

OK, why is this absolutely necessary? If you are not going to move it, it will have no effect, so what is the point (no pun intended) for that?

I did read your comment saying that the point on the curve should already be shown prior to clicking, but that is not what we are talking about here, & more to the point I suspect continually sampling whatever is under the pointer would be too computationally intensive for less powerful computers, introducing a lag that would make it useless.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yes, I have used curves & am aware of how the curve changes. But if you want to set a new node at some point between two others to preserve the tonality there, how does the Picker actually help with that?

It seems to me that would involve just as much guesswork & trial & error as adding the node directly on the graph & dragging the nodes there to get the best fit.

Affinity Photo 

Yes, I have used curves & am aware of how the curve changes. But if you want to set a new node at some point between two others to preserve the tonality there, how does the Picker actually help with that?

It seems to me that would involve just as much guesswork & trial & error as adding the node directly on the graph & dragging the nodes there to get the best fit.

no you just click the part of the image which has the tone you want to preserve, done, no guessing 

if the color picker would have an option to average between couple pixels that would be even better 

no you just click the part of the image which has the tone you want to preserve, done, no guessing 

But how do you know the exact location of that tiny little part of the image to click on? This is all being done by eyeball estimate, right? So unless I am missing something (always a strong possibility) this isn't going to help you place a node between two others any better by using the picker than by working directly on the graph.

Affinity Photo