drptlecter

When I import RAW+JPEG photos from DSLR, AP opens only JPEG

Hey,

First of all congrats on the app, for a first version it certainly is fantastic. Now, my problem is as follows:

1) Shoot with Nikon D5100 as RAW+JPEG

2) Import photos using SD adapter to iPad Air 2 (iOS 11 dev beta 1)

3) Open Affinity Photo and import from photo gallery imported image

4) The image loaded is the JPEG version and not the raw.

However, if I shoot only in RAW I can open the raw image from AP.

SUGGESTION: Give us the option to select whether we want to work with the RAW file or the JPEG. Also, if possible, communicate this issue with Apple, since the Photos app neither allows us to choose which version to import from the SD card, neither makes it clear if photos have both a raw version and jpeg.

Thank you very much and continue with your amazing work.

Best Regards,

Panagiotis

Hi Panagiotis,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums!

According to this article from Apple they seem to indicate that you need to enable 'Download Originals' for you to get the RAW files onto your iPad. As for the suggestion feel free to post that in the iPad Feature Requests forum.

Hi!

I have a similar problem. I try to open RAW photos shoot with an iPhone and I also get only the JPG Version. I enabled "Download Originals" but still the same problem. Then I used iCloud Drive to move the DNG files from my computer to the iPad and opened it with Affinity Photo and still get only the JPG.

Hi pk210,

Unfortunately I'm unable to reproduce this. I've placed both DNG files onto iCloud and can open them both using 'Import from Cloud' option. If I go into the iCloud drive app, select a DNG and save to Photos I can still import correctly when using 'Import from Photos' option.

Hi pk210,

You are not getting the JPG file - if that was the case you wouldn't be placed inside the Develop Persona. What you are seeing is a difference in RAW engines rendering the file.

On Windows we can only use the Serif Labs Raw engine, however on the Mac we are able to give the user the option of using the Serif Labs or built in Apple (Core Image Raw). On iPad we only use the Apple Core Image Raw.

If I open your DNG file on Mac using both the Serif Labs and Apple Core Image Raw you do get differences and the Apple Core Image Raw on Mac gives a much closer look to the one on the iPad.

Well, if that is the case, then it seems the Apple Core Image Raw is broken. You you can see in my Example the lost of details in the grass and you can't get those details back by changing the settings in the Develop Persona. Apple Core Image may say it uses the RAW data, but it clearly shows a reduced version of the photo with less possibilities to edit. 

So if Affinity uses the API from Apple than it looks like a bug in iOS 10. I hope this problem gets resolved with iOS 11. 

Off topic: you can change the RAW Developer on the Mac Version? Can you tell me where I find this option? 

Off topic: you can change the RAW Developer on the Mac Version? Can you tell me where I find this option? 

If you go to View > Assistant Manager and then click 'Develop Assistant' you get a series of options related to the Develop Persona.