You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I thought I had used the selection brush before, with success---maybe once or twice---but today I could not get it to work. I had the image layer selected, and selected the  brush and dragged it over the part of the image I wanted to transform---but nothing happened!  I tried this on a couple different photos---nothing. What am I doing wrong? 

Thanks!

Are you sure Add is selected in the context menu ? or New.

I have done that myself (er, maybe once ;) ) and had it set to subtract. 

If you subtract from nothing, you get er, nothing.  :)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

That was it!  I hadn't selected Add. Now, however, I have another little problem. When I outline my selection with the selection brush, it appears to create a "double" line, so the HSL color chance affects only part of the border. Once again I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I want to change the hue of an entire flower, but it's only affecting the borders. I did zoom in on the image, and am using a small size brush, but it doesn't seem to matter. I can see that the "marching ants" line is double rather than a single line, but don't know why it's behaving that way. 

It a bit hard without seeing the image.

It is possible to outline a selection with an even border Select > Outline but it won't stick that way so you would have to do it. Is the "double line" of even width all the way round, as it would be with outline?

Is the Snap to Edges ticked? If so, untick it, it may be that, although you should be able to paint the whole flower, bit by bit if Add is on. Try a bigger brush. It might be that you are just selecting the outer ring of the flower and it is snapping to that colour.

I am presuming you have the image layer active?

Here I selected the whole flower (selection brush tool) using the settings on the second image,

post-59234-0-79683200-1497796418_thumb.jpg

post-59234-0-71942300-1497796431_thumb.jpg

post-59234-0-37146900-1497796528_thumb.jpg

I do have the image layer active. I wasn't sure if I ought to use Snap to Edges or not. I thought a smaller brush would work better, but maybe that is the problem. I will try all those things. I have already made some manipulations to the photo---detect edges and recolor--and now I want to select one of the lilies and change it to a contrasting hue. Just an experiment!   Thanks, toltec. 

Snap to Edges, will select right up to the edges of the colour, but sometimes this is a bit of a nuisance because it gets too much and can be a bit "wild" unlike some tools there is no tolerance setting. if Snap to Edges is off, the brush just works like a brush.

For the flower I posted I had Snap to on and it got everything in one click and a short drag. Horses for courses I guess.

One thing you should experiment with is Quickmask. Once you have made a selection hit "Q". You can then use either a black or white paint colour with the paint brush and add to, or take away from the selection area. Very useful feature! Press Q again to return.

I tried a larger brush size, and that worked.  I have used Quickmask at few times---will give that a try too.  One of the reasons it was difficult to use Snap to Edges, perhaps,  was that I had previously used a "recolor" layer on the entire image, so everything was blue. But I did get the lily recolored. Good thing there's more than one way to do a thing.  :)   

• 1 year later...

I was having the same issue with the Selection Brush i.e.: it was set to Add instead of Subtract. This leads me to believe that I am not the only person that may be frustrated with the lack of clarity on which setting is active, A or S; it really isn't that obvious.

A suggestion would be for the developers to have the tabs become brighter (or a different colour, or flash, or....) in order to clearly indicate which state the tool is in.

Cheers!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...