You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi John Gillett,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

From where did you open the file? If you have imported it from Apple Photos please download the latest update 1.6.2 (using the App Store) which contains a fix for this.

If you have opened the RAW from a cloud service (iCloud Drive, Dropbox etc) can you give us more details? Which camera/RAW format are you tryin to open in Affinity?

I opened a Raw photo in Affinity, but having seen the  tutorial, the RAW development page doesn't appear, and the File items are different.

What am I not doing?

Have you updated to the latest version (came out a couple of days ago). This fixed the issue where you cant open a raw file directly off your iPad.

• Staff

Hi John Gillett,

If you are using iPhotos to store your RAW files you have to export them to a folder first before you can open them in Affinity Photo. There's no way to transfer RAW files directly from iPhotos to Affinity Photo (only JPG's).

To export your images as RAW from iPhoto, select the image (in Photos view) then go to menu File ▸ Export... and select Original from the Kind dropdown. You can then open the exported RAW file in Affinity Photo. If you want to place the file back on iPhotos again you have to import it manually.

I have opened some NEF files successfully. The camera was a Nikon D500. I am interested in the amount of noise produced by the RAW conversion engine. It seems to be more than Photoshop CC. What are the optimum settings for converting RAW files? I can use some setting adjustments to reduce noise but the issue with any noise reduction process is always how much detail is lost to smoothing. I like being able to see the impact as a before after view option. What recommendations do you have for me? I like the program but I am a little concerned about the RAW development engine.

What suggestions do you I have?

I have opened some NEF files successfully. The camera was a Nikon D500. I am interested in the amount of noise produced by the RAW conversion engine. It seems to be more than Photoshop CC. What are the optimum settings for converting RAW files? I can use some setting adjustments to reduce noise but the issue with any noise reduction process is always how much detail is lost to smoothing. I like being able to see the impact as a before after view option. What recommendations do you have for me? I like the program but I am a little concerned about the RAW development engine.

What suggestions do you I have?

I have developed raws, the results are similar to PS CC results. I set settings individually for every photo. There is a button on the side to compare before and after.