You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Accidentally deleted a Style / cannot undo Styles

Hello.

I just purchased Affinity for both my Mac and iPad. While trying to learn the program on my Mac, I encountered two problems...

1) I cannot undo certain things. Example: if I click on a Style to see how it looks, there's no way to undo the effect. It's baked into that layer permanently. I encountered this issue during a free trial of Affinity and it was my #1 reason for not buying it originally. Surely I'm overlooking something??

2) I applied one of the default Styles (Rainbow)...and while trying to figure out how to undo it, I accidentally deleted the Style altogether. How can I get it back?

Thank you for your help!

-E.T. Craven

post-62459-0-41429800-1497667687_thumb.png

• Staff
You can reset the styles in your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click the Deselect All and then click Reset Object Styles and the the Clear Button. The app will now open and the styles will be restored.

You can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. The app will now open.

Be aware that reseting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc. To backup such settings before resetting the app, please watch our Affinity - Exporting User Settings and Keyboard Shortcuts video.

Ooh er, thats a bit drastic to reset a style.

Edit > Preferences > Miscellaneous > Reset Object Styles

The style will reappear next time you load a document.

Undo works when I try it ?

Styles on layers add layer effects fx. If it's an fx you can go to layer effects and untick the effects. In the case of "glass", opacity is applied too

Of course, you could simply make a new layer.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

1) I cannot undo certain things. Example: if I click on a Style to see how it looks, there's no way to undo the effect. It's baked into that layer permanently. I encountered this issue during a free trial of Affinity and it was my #1 reason for not buying it originally. Surely I'm overlooking something??

I'm not sure why it isn't working for you as you should be able to undo applying a style.  Maybe after resetting using one of the three methods mentioned above, it will start working correctly.  However you should be able to do the following.

- Ctrl/Cmd + Z keyboard shortcut key to undo the style

- Edit > Undo Apply Object Style, from the top menu

- Go to the History panel and move back a step to before 'Apply Object Style'

Alternatively, if you want to get rid of the applied style at a later stage where isn't practical to use Undo, using the Move Tool you can select the object that has the Style applied to it and then go to Edit > Defaults > Revert.  This will revert it to the default setting that's set for that object.

Or if you want, you can create your own Style.  To do this, set an object how you want it (I.E. Two pixel black stroke, with a white fill), then right-click on it and select 'Create Style' (or Edit > Create Style, from the top menu).  Then you can click on it whenever you want to change the object to one of your own preset 'default' Styles.

Thanks for your responses. I'm going to go through and try each of your suggestions...but something is definitely wrong with the program on my end.

Last night, "undo apply object style" wasn't even an option under Edit in my menu. Today, it is...but undoing it does nothing...and when I redo, it multiplies the effect. I can never undo it.

I uploaded a video to demonstrate the issue...

https://etcraven.files.wordpress.com/2017/06/img_9102-sd-for-apple-devices.m4v

- Ctrl/Cmd + Z keyboard shortcut key to undo the style

- Edit > Undo Apply Object Style, from the top menu

- Go to the History panel and move back a step to before 'Apply Object Style'

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, none of those things are working for me. In fact, the one thing I hadn't previously tried was going through History...and the style is applied almost all the way back the beginning...on changes I'd made before I ever even opened Styles in the first place.  :(

I suggest you use the option by DWright then, to reset things a bit more thoroughly.

"You can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. The app will now open."

You will use any custom settings you have made, unfortunately.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Ooh er, thats a bit drastic to reset a style.

Edit > Preferences > Miscellaneous > Reset Object Styles

The style will reappear next time you load a document.

Undo works when I try it ?

Styles on layers add layer effects fx. If it's an fx you can go to layer effects and untick the effects. In the case of "glass", opacity is applied too

Of course, you could simply make a new layer.

Thanks! Reset Object Styles is exactly what I was looking for.

As for undo...nothing is working for me when I add a style. Unticking, undo, History...none of them are working for me.  :huh:

I suggest you use the option by DWright then, to reset things a bit more thoroughly.

"You can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. The app will now open."

You will use any custom settings you have made, unfortunately.

I just held down control when I reopened and reset everything. Still the same problem I'm having in this video (undo does nothing, redo multiplies the effect) https://etcraven.fil...ple-devices.m4v

I'm going to go through and try each of your suggestions...but something is definitely wrong with the program on my end.

Last night, "undo apply object style" wasn't even an option under Edit in my menu. Today, it is...but undoing it does nothing...and when I redo, it multiplies the effect. I can never undo it.

In fact, the one thing I hadn't previously tried was going through History...and the style is applied almost all the way back the beginning...on changes I'd made before I ever even opened Styles in the first place.

I just held down control when I reopened and reset everything. Still the same problem I'm having in this video (undo does nothing, redo multiplies the effect)

I'm trying to think of a scenario where 'Edit > Undo Apply Object Style' won't work by design, but I can't think of one at the moment.  Together with the part about the Style being all the way back at the beginning of the History panel, to me sounds pretty odd.

If you just want to get the file you're working on to a state where you can continue working without the style applied, you could try the following to see if it removes the Style:

1) Select the layer with the applied Style

2) As previously mentioned in Post No.3, if it has an fx symbol on the right of the layer, click on it and untick all the effects, including making sure the 'Fill Opacity' at the bottom is set to 100% also.

3) Select the Rectangle tool, then in the top context bar click 'Fill' and set it to 'None'.  Click 'Stroke' and set it to 'None'

As for getting to the root cause of the issue, I don't think I'll be of much help, however you could upload a sample file and I'll see if I can reproduce it.  Is it just one particular document where the issue occurs, or does the same happen on a completely new document as well?  If you can reproduce it on a new document, it will probably be better to upload that instead, with 'File > Save History With Document' applied.

Thanks for your help, everyone. I still haven't resolved this. In fact, I've had undo fail to work in a few other situations (besides Style) since originally posting this.

The only "fix" is to constantly back up my progress and quit the program when undo decides to fail me. However, I just dropped $60 on Affinity (Mac & iPad)...and to run into such an unreasonable bug immediately wasn't really what I was expecting when I made the investment.

I reached out to the developers on Twitter, hopefully they figure this out soon. In the meantime, I'm going to have to back to Pixelmator. It's not nearly as feature-rich, but undo works every time.  :wacko:

Hi etcetera. Sorry to see you are having so many problems with Affinity Photo.

Regarding undo, it steps backwards through each step the app records. If you keep the History panel open & refer to it when you are working with the Mac version, you may notice that sometimes what you consider to be a single step is recorded as two steps as far as the app is concerned. Because of this, sometimes you have to use undo twice to step back to the last state.

It is also important to understand that you can step backwards through history as many steps as you want, but once you do any step besides redo or move the History slider, any new steps you do will wipe out every step recorded after that point. (IOW, you can't go forward once you 'change the history' of the document, if that makes any sense.) The Mac version does provide a partial way around this (using the Undo Brush tool) but it applies only to pixel layers & it is not the easiest thing to understand how to use, at least for me.

However, as has been mentioned, to "undo" a style, it is somewhat simpler. Because styles are just combinations of effects (& for shapes, possibly gradients with transparency), you can click on the 'fx' icon in the Layers panel & remove any or all of the effects you don't want the layer to have. For vector shapes that include gradient styles, it is a bit more tricky. You will also need to select the shape layer, switch to the Gradient tool, change the Type in the Context toolbar to solid, & choose a fill color. This is not quite a complete undo (because you have to choose the fill color) but it will undo all the other effects applying a style to a shape does.

Of course, if you apply a style by accident, it is much easier to undo it that step immediately, before some other step wipes out 'future history,' so to speak, but if you don't notice that until later, this should help repair the damage.

I realize this is not all easy to understand -- I still struggle with some of it myself -- but I hope this will be of some use for you when undo does not seem to work like you expect.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 5 years later...
On 6/22/2017 at 4:21 AM, MEB said:

Hi etcetera,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Are you able to reproduce this on a new document (undo a style)?

Hello, 

I have just downloaded the free trial version of affinity designer 2, and have run into the same issue as etcetera unfortunately. It's an especially big bummer because it baked the layer group I'd been working in for about 5 hours into greyscale and I cannot get it to undo by any thing that I try. Really bummed out. Has any solution been found to this issue? 

• 4 months later...

Hi, I encountered this problem too while testing the use of Style Picker.

I made a circle, used the Countour Tool and made a donut off it. I made another circle and irregular shape and used the Style Picker on the donut then picked the circle so it became a donut as well - but I can't undo it.

Checking the History, there's no record of using the Style Picker at all.

Reset Object Style doesn't work as well.
*see screen-capture.webm attached