You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

If I load a file as an Image and resize it up in it's layer. What resizing method would it use for that image  layer if I exported the whole document later, as say a TIFF or JPEG, with the resized image included.

If I resize the whole document, I can choose Bilinear, Lanczos 3 etc. But what happens with resizing the embedded image layer.

Ta

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Yes, but what if I don't rasterize the whole document?

What happens if the whole document is already the right size. except for the one small image in the middle that will need to be resampled to match the rest of the document when I output it as a TIFF or whatever?

How do I choose the resampling method for that image?

If you export, the rewamplijg method can be adjusted in the export settings

If you rasterise in place though AP uses something bad like nearest neighbour

You can check this by

1. Open picture in document one

2. create second document with e.g. 1/4 of the pixels

3. copy the image and resize using the move tool to fit, export using langszos

4.rasterize the image and export again using the same settings (although the resamplijg method at this point will not make a difference)

Affinity does not think this is an issue though

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/21222-rasterizing-algorithm/?p=99188

Cheer

Hmm, that's not very good at all.   :(

I will have to remember to get all the images at exactly the right size before I put them into a page. Or, maybe resize the whole document afterwards and force it to use Lanczos 3 or something.

To be honest I normally work at higher resolutions and downsize. Maybe I'm just being picky  :unsure: After all, expecting my professional quality photo editing program to behave in a professional manner every time is a bit much . Yes, I'm just being picky  :rolleyes:

Well, maybe I shouldn't export either. The same issue will crop up.

While I'm at it, better avoid printing too.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

That's the problem. Sooner or later Affinity will decide to rasterize it for me and seems to use, nearest neighbour, which is the worst of all worlds.

Good, point. 

I shall, as you said, "never rasterize" inside an Affinity document.

If I have to edit an image (which I often do) I shall make sure it is sized up first, before I place it and rasterize it.

I would like to see a better option available though. Nearest neighbour is not very good, even at downsizing.

Nearest neighbour is not very good, even at downsizing.

Bicubic is good for downsizing and Lanczos3 Window is good for upsizing. Nearest Neighbour seems a strange choice for a default method, never mind a fixed one, although it's great if you actually want the result to be pixellated!! :lol:

BTW, every time I read the topic title I find myself thinking, "Hmm. How do you rasterize thoughts??" :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Do we know for sure that rasterizing an image layer uses Nearest Neighbor? I know I have read some of the staff saying they think it does, but have we actually heard that from a developer?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Like many things Affinity, "Clarity" is a filter that only works on pixel layers, not image layers  :lol:

Actually, it does, but it seems like it doesn't.

• 1 year later...
On 6/18/2017 at 5:58 AM, R C-R said:

Do we know for sure that rasterizing an image layer uses Nearest Neighbor? I know I have read some of the staff saying they think it does, but have we actually heard that from a developer?

Sorry for necroing an old thread but has any developer clarified this yet? It is worrying that professional software I paid for does nearest neighbor resampling for something very integral to the image manipulation process.