You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi

Suppose I copy and page an image into my affinity photo document. By default it is put on to a new layer of the type "image layer". This is useful because I can shrink the image or stretch it using the move tool and all the original pixels are remembered if I stretch or scale the image again layer later - it is not resampled like Photoshop.

My question is, after shrinking the image layer, is it possible to restore it to the original size it was when it was first pasted in to my document? At the moment I can only  get it to roughly its original size/aspect ration by guess work. If I make it even slightly bigger than it was originally, it will become pixellated.

Thanks.

Not as far as i know, but it should not get pixelated if you resize or rasterize it, unless you are going crazy with resizing. Affinity will resample it and do a good job. If you output the file with a resized image, it will resize it anyway as it outputs it to match your output resolution, so it has to be done at some point.

If you must, look at the "Transform" panel when you first paste it in, it will display the images exact size, so you could resize it to the pixel by entering dimension into the transform dialogue boxes.

However, there are much easier ways of solving your problem.

1. Keep a copy of the original file and paste it in again.

2. Make a copy of the image layer as soon as you paste it in. You can hide the original, work on the copy and then just delete it and show the original when you want.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 2 years later...
On 1/24/2020 at 4:59 PM, TomM1 said:

Old topic by I have the same question.

Now (1.7 or 1.8 beta), when you Place an image into a Photo document, and select that layer with the Move Tool active, you have additional capabilities via the Context Toolbar:

image.png.f32deb21d214165211def29142714974.png

This tells you the current scale of the image (63% or 64% for my image), and allows you to rescale it or to restore it to its original size.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

This tells you the current scale of the image (63% or 64%for my image), and allows you to rescale it or to restore it to its original size.

Good to know. Thanks.

website

Mac mini (2018)  3.2 GHz Intel Core i7  64 GB • Radeon Pro 580 8 GB • macOS Monterey

You're welcome, @TomM1.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 3 years later...
35 minutes ago, stefano.cecere said:

this information / command is quite hidden.

It's reasonably visible in the UI, in my opinion.

It's also described in the Help for Placing files: https://affinity.help/photo2/en-US.lproj/pages/Media/placeImages.html

-- Walt
PC:

14 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It's reasonably visible in the UI, in my opinion.

It's also described in the Help for Placing files: https://affinity.help/photo2/en-US.lproj/pages/Media/placeImages.html

absolutely not so "visible".

we are talking about the size of an image: the first and second place where i look is in the transformer panel, and then contextual menu Transform

NB: i use computer and multimedia software since 1989.. i never struggled so much with software UI/UX as with Affinity suite.. I am sorry to say it.

PLAY WELL DIE HAPPY! Game Based Learning, Music, Parenting, Trascendence and 2042 Humanist Revolution - stefanocecere.com

4 hours ago, stefano.cecere said:

we are talking about the size of an image: the first and second place where i look is in the transformer panel, and then contextual menu Transform

It may also be that you aren't (yet?) used to looking in the Context Toolbar to find information and options?

I know there are issues in the UI, but there is also familiarity with the application, and how it does things, and where information is located, that play into it. Another example: some users never seem to look at the Status Bar, which often contains helpful pointers that make use of the application easier.

-- Walt
PC: