sw-fuzzy

Affinity Ipad version is not worth the money

I bought the iPad version of Affinity in order to be able to work on RAW files on the road without a computer, but I am totally disappointed:

-  the software runs very slowly with RAWs of 20 MB which nowadays is a reasonable file size. Other data like Hasselblad 3fr files (50 MPx) are almost impossible to handle, the display likes to freeze very often....

- the most annoying thing is that the RAW development is destructive, i.e. if I push the develop button and afterwards realize that I better should modify the development all the settings and informations are lost. If I open the developer again the color temperature and tint are unknown and the settings are 0 / 0.  All other changes also are lost and the control buttons are in 0 position. 

And if I use a black & white conversion in the development tool I cannot go back to the original color version once I pushed the "develop" button. 

This is total crap and I want my money back.  

Regards, Stephan

Edit:  I use the newest version 1.6.2 on an iPad Air 2

Fortunately the order cancellation in the Apple AppStore works much better than your software...  I just got back my money. Good bye

sw-fuzzy,

I think what you, and what a small number of people new to Affinity's products, don't seem to realise is because Affinity's products are so new you are investing not just for the present but you are investing in the ideas (and philosophy) of the company. By purchasing their software titles you are supporting the company and allowing them to develop the programs and make them even better. So don't think of it as a "what can it do right now" but you should be thinking "wow it is amazing how much it can do for such a reasonable price, I can't wait to see what kind of features they will add in the future". 

As a side note, your tone wasn't bad until the end and then it wasn't very nice. Constructive criticism is welcome here but there is no need to be snarky. So make your voice heard but do it nicely.  

Hokusai

Okay, it was a bit harsh to use the word "crap"...  But I don't see any help or sense in a tool which is able to open a RAW file but then cannot store the development parameters in nondestructive manner in order to modify them. This is even more astonishing by realizing that the nondestructive layer technique outside of the RAW development indeed works.  

I tried the software this afternoon several hours but could not get satisfied with the results and therefore I am tired to wait for any improvements. 

My general impression is that Affinity on iPad always will be problematic. For serious post processing for sure one has to use a powerful desktop computer. The advertising policy of Affinity therefore seems too euphoric. I took it by word and thought that this tool might offer things which I miss with Lightroom mobile (e.g. tilt corrections). But I realized that all the various (and to my opinion too many) post processing possibilities in Affinity cause basic problems in the software performance whereas on the other side the fundamental feature from my point of view (RAW development) is a weak spot.

So I think that Lightroom mobile still is a more suitable tool for the iPad which even allows local corrections and runs smoothly even with 50MPx files ...

Regards, Stephan

Stephan,

Thanks for explaining your problem in a nice manner. I'm sorry that things aren't working as you had hoped but I recommend to make your voice heard in the iPad feature requests. If you have a suggestion or a request that would help to improve the program, I'm sure that the developers would gladly listen. The developers here are very good at listening to customer comments, complaints, requests, and suggestions but of course they are human and I can imagine that it often depends on how well you make your case. It is through posting ideas, complaints, suggestions, etc and then making a case for or against things that helps pushes the software forward. Also if you are new to Affinity's software you might not realise it, the developers are very fast and they are always moving things forward so just because a feature is missing rest assured that they very well may add it or improve things in the near future. As I mentioned before you have to have faith in the direction of the software, not just what it can do right now. I know that isn't always ideal and it doesn't work for everyone but that is the way it is (or at least as it seems to me). 

Best of luck,

Hokusai

Hi,

This is something which is commonly misunderstood.. Affinity Photo is not a DAM!

If you are looking for an app which stores RAW development parameters non-destructively in a database or side-car files, you won't find Photo suitable.

Photo is a pixel editor - with support for developing single RAW files destructively as the first part of the editing process.

Think of it in terms of the Adobe desktop apps:

1.) Photoshop - pixel editor with RAW import capability (ACR)

2.) Lightroom - DAM.

Hope this helps,

Andy.

Okay, thank you Andy for putting it in a nutshell. This makes clear that my desire will never be fulfilled by AP. It may have been my fault, but nowhere I found such a short and clear statement in the announcement of the software. I assume that this is a basic drawback which also is valid for the desktop version.

My workflow is based on the smart filter technique of PS where I always can go back to the RAW data to tune them directly with ACR or update the master layer by an external standalone RAW editor like Hasselblad's Phocus.  

It is obvious that a complete picture processing is not possible on a mobile system like the iPad (without color calibration and other deficiencies). A serious processing will always need final tuning on a desktop computer. The more it is necessary to protect the original data information without losses if one starts working on an iPad. Lightroom mobile under this aspect is a quite valuable tool which offers a nondestructive RAW development which has of course restrictions but which can be modified and improved after coming home and synchronizing the data with the desktop computer so that it is not necessary to start again from scratch.  

My wish and hope was that AP on iPad would offer a tool to get ahead of some limitations of LR mobile but now I am aware that it is the other way round.  :(

Regards, Stephan.

My understanding is that Affinity HAS stated they aim to develop a DAM, but not right away. I agree, let's get Designer on iPad, Publisher on Mac, Windows AND iPad, and then move on to Affinity Damn™ - it's gonna be so badass that will be the name... but alas we have to wait...

2017 15" MacBook Pro 14,3 w/ Intel 4 Core i7 @ 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM, AMD 455 @ 2 GB, 512 GB SSD, macOS Big Sur 11.1

2018 11" iPad Pro 256 GB, latest iPadOS public beta

Just a couple of observations.

This is a $20 licensed app, not part of a $10/month subscription scheme.

It does a lot more than LR in pixel editing, but doesn't catalog your images like LR does. That may be a future Affinity catalog app.

It is what it intended to be, albeit with some 1st release bugs. Before we get into whether it's too buggy for release, remember the first release of every new version of Microsoft windows - bugs and headaches galore!

The app runs on an iPad. If you expect all the speed of Affinity Photo running on an iMac or powerful Windows PC, get the $50 version for a computer.

So far this app does an incredible amount of stuff that the desktop version does, with a lot fewer hardware resources. Pretty amazing when you think about it running on an iPad Air 2. I had expected it to require the newest iPad Pro.

So far this app does an incredible amount of stuff that the desktop version does, with a lot fewer hardware resources. Pretty amazing when you think about it running on an iPad Air 2. I had expected it to require the newest iPad Pro.

Look, that is very cool and all... But tell me where in your workflow it is actually "practical". It surely isn't practical when you're nowhere near your desktop, right? And yet, that is what Apple is foolishly pushing as the paradigm it serves. Okay, sure... Anybody with half a brain will know that an iPad is nowhere near a desktop replacement. Or, as they put it, a "computer replacement". But the lines are really starting to get blurred in some ways, and will only continue to get more blurred.

But my point is, other than saying: "oh cool, look at how powerful AP is. It does most of what the desktop version does" and then finishing with " BUT... It's really not practical to use as such", then the only thing we should say to people who are hopeful that it will one day be what they want it to be is: " Don't call us, we'll call you when it's all ready. Could be a few years, so just enjoy your life for now". lol

Seriously though.

I should also note, that I knew going into buying AP that it was destructive pixel editing. I didn't go in with the assumption like the disgruntled OP, that it was non destructive. I own the desktop version and understand the differences. That said, I've heard devs of AP state that talks of a DAM are being thought of. The only reason I'm voicing my opinions the way I am, is to kind of give things a push and make sure that this aspect is not forgotten about. If people settle, and the need seems to have died off, they likely won't act on it.

I bought the iPad version of Affinity in order to be able to work on RAW files on the road without a computer, but I am totally disappointed:

I just got back my money. Good bye

you are welcome, just because you are the 0,000000001% of affinity customer with this opinion :)

I should also note, that I knew going into buying AP that it was destructive pixel editing. I didn't go in with the assumption like the disgruntled OP, that it was non destructive. I own the desktop version and understand the differences. That said, I've heard devs of AP state that talks of a DAM are being thought of. The only reason I'm voicing my opinions the way I am, is to kind of give things a push and make sure that this aspect is not forgotten about. If people settle, and the need seems to have died off, they likely won't act on it.

I agree, this make sense but you must consider the percentage, if more than 50% of customer asks the same thing, you've right.

To be honest, maybe the people need to know also that their ipad can't support the minimum requests for this purpose.

On my iPad Pro generation 2, I retouch my Nikon D810 RAW file in 16bits we a lot of layer wihtout a problem... so I don't understand your statement.

By default, there is a samll delay between autosave... and autosave slow down the iPad. By default, the undo capacity is VERY deep, which makes the file very large too.

By modifying this to some more normal values, Affinity Photo is very responsive with my 36Mp 16bits pictures.

I bought the 12.9 Ipad Pro Version I when it first came out hoping that the Photoshop CC version would be what I wanted.  However the implementation left a lot to be desired.  I ended up buying a Surface Pro 4 to put it on.  I still wanted something to use on my ipads.  I have the 12.9 as noted above and the 9.7 iPad Pro for when I was traveling.  There was a discussion on Fred Miranda about ipads vs. Surface products.  This program came up and for $20 I thought I would give it a shot.  I look forward to being part of the journey.

So apparently some people’s argument is that we can not expect a 20bucks software to do alot... obviously those people are slightly slow when it comes to marketing and economics. Pricing is made low to make it a better alternative to torrent cracks which photoshop has thought it had suffered from. So can we expect a second generation photo and graphic editing software which has invented nothing but slightly improve things from what has been developed by a competitor and made open source by GIMP.... YES WE CAN.

In regards to the desktop version, the mac version is smooth the pc version even with a beast such as mine, is often clunky with 50mb files.

I came here to check wether a all iOS workflow on this app was possible as some people now are aiming like me to do a mobile only flow (that someone here think is 0,000001% of the customer base, yet ignores that all “mobile flow” is already widely used for over 70-90% of photography users (whether it is with camera or phone). I was surprised to see in the app store that my iPad mini was supported to later find out that it is not... I considered getting a new iPad and want to make sure iPad Air works. Thanks to some angry reviewers I know it is but still suck.

thank you OP.