You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Split View Icon in Toolbar

It would be great if AD added a fourth "Split View on/off toggle" icon the 3 icon View set presently on the Toolbar. I LOVE split view, and love quickly panning between rendered and key line to edit precisely and see the results on the other side, but hate going to the sub-menu to toggle it on and off...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

It might be cool to make Split View into a draggable tool... so users can Split the view horizontally, vertically, or any diagonal in between which suits their workflow....

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

• Staff

This would work just fine with the architecture, but I think it's going to have to be a 'one day' thing - because it would rely on some of the other components we need in order to make multi-page/multi-artboard and canvas rotation work - so it would be after those things.

• Staff

Haha! This is great! I promise I'll use it for the icon until our creative department get around to it - but after that it's in their hands (although it'll have to be better than yours in order for me to change it!)

If you have time... we have a lot of icons outstanding for Affinity Photo that still need creating... I can give you a list? ;)

(just kidding!)

That was just a quick n dirty photochop... If u send me a real file I'll be happy to give it a go!

Maybe can be modify into an easier way.

I mean, icons or symbols on both sides of the separation line, to select the wished wiew mode.

o7t7ia.png

(The icon/symbol colored indicates the actual mode on that side of the screen)

And when the mouse is over any of the icons/symbols could appear a help text with the name of the mode (pixel, retina, ...)

Yeah, there are some great ideas there @Raskolnikov! I'm so excited with AD's trajectory... and having a dev team who LISTENS to users... Imagine that!

I'm hoping the Loupe tool idea gains some traction :) 

• Staff

Hahaha, yes I've read the description of the loupe tool and I actually had one in my first iPad version a few years ago - it was the first thing I wrote after getting it to draw the document! (You could zoom the loupe in/out with gestures separately from the main view). It will happen one day - never fear! :)

Very cool Matt, I can't wait to see it :) Have you played with the Loupe tool in Apple's Aperture? I'm so bummed Apple is dropping Aperture. I hope the new Photos app can keep up, but I fear it's going to be more like iPhoto than Aperture. They leap-frogged Adobe, who had to rush out it's Lightroom copy of Aperture...

What I love about Aperture was Apple's focus and understanding of:

1. the larger workflow of editing and organizing groups of photos (comparing multiple, very similar shots, rating them, keywording, creating Stacks, etc)
  2. cloning sets of adjustments for groups of images shot in same circumstances
  3. the entire non-destructive approach to editing, and of course
  4. THE LOUPE (lolol)!

I really can't wait for Affinity Photo. I hope you guys implement some of the larger workflow innovations of Aperture into some kind of Organizing Persona to help us manage the TONS of photos we generate...

• 1 year later...

This would work just fine with the architecture, but I think it's going to have to be a 'one day' thing - because it would rely on some of the other components we need in order to make multi-page/multi-artboard and canvas rotation work - so it would be after those things.

Still no hope to have it (and the SVI) before “Pages”?