You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AP] How do I isolate a layer and edit its mask at the same time?

When I try to edit the mask of an isolated layer in Photo I go out of isolated mode. Is it possible to isolate a layer and edit its mask as in Photoshop?

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 for Windows  OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 ver. 22H2  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core  RAM: 64 GB DDR5-6400  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB / driver 526.98  NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB  Monitors: 2x Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 24"

Thanks for the reply, MEB. By editing the mask of isolated layer I meant isolating the pixel layer (alt+click on its thumbnail) and then using the brush tool (B) to draw inside the mask of that isolated pixel layer in order to reveal/hide parts of the layer. Does that make sense?

Alt-clicking the mask's thumbnail, as you suggested, shows the black and white mask image and that's not what I need. I want to see the end result of the pixel layer while drawing in the mask. Do you understand what I mean? Let me know if I should record a video comparison between Photoshop and Affinity Photo to demonstrate this. It's a vital part of my workflow to be able to draw in the mask layers of isolated layers because I can clearly see which pixels are transparent and which are not when all other layers are not visible.

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 for Windows  OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 ver. 22H2  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core  RAM: 64 GB DDR5-6400  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB / driver 526.98  NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB  Monitors: 2x Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 24"

• Staff

Thanks for the clarification. I'm afraid this is not currently possible (unless you hide all the other layers). You can kinda do this while creating a new selection/mask (using Quick Mask and setting Show mask as transparent then saving the selection as a mask) but not for an existing mask.

I'm moving this thread to the Feature Requests section.

Thank you very much. I would be happy to see this feature implemented! In the meantime I'll try the workaround you provided.

This is clumsy and convoluted but it does do what you want until something better comes along.

Select the layer in question Right Click on it and Cut. Now File > New from clipboard. You will now have an open image with just the layer in question where you can paint on the mask in the manner you wish. Once you are done Right Click and Copy/Paste the layer back to your original image. You can keep the temp file open for further modifications or simply close it.

Very, very far from ideal ..........  :( .......... but does what you want ..........  :)

Thanks for the tip. Hopefully what I'm asking for is easy to implement. It should just be made so that clicking on the mask layer of the isolated layer doesn't kick you out of isolate mode... That's all. :)

Hopefully what I'm asking for is easy to implement. It should just be made so that clicking on the mask layer of the isolated layer doesn't kick you out of isolate mode... That's all. :)

You probably already know this but in case you do not...

Affinity Photo provides a way to isolate just the mask layer so you can paint on it via right clicking on the mask layer's thumbnail & selecting "Edit Mask," but obviously that is not usually very useful if you want to isolate the mask and the pixel layer it is masking so you can see the brush's effect as you paint.

For the special case where you have only a single pixel layer & a mask layer, or a mask affecting all layers below it, you can just select the mask layer directly in the layers panel & paint on it to see the effect. For the more usual case of a pixel layer & its mask somewhere in the layer stack what you suggest would work fine ... except when you want to see the effect not just on that pixel layer in isolation but also on the layers below it.

Then it starts to gets tricky....

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7