You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Suggestions for Drawing

Hi there,

let me write down some suggestions that came to my mind when using Affinity Photo for calligraphy work. Actually, I am only teaching this myself at the moment and have used Procreate so far, so the following suggestions will, up to a certain point, reflect my experience with the latter app. And I believe some of the points have already been mentioned, so let me apologize for duplicate suggestions. I added a screen shot, for I am not entirely clear about the terminology …  ;)
  • First off, the Brush Stabilizers in Photo are just lovely. As far as I am concerned, they feel much more natural than the Streamline option in Procreate, so thank you for adding these. However, I would like to have the option to hide the cursor when using the Stabilizers (by “cursor,” I mean the cross-line-circle combo that appears underneath the tip of the Pencil whenever you are drawing a line). The cursor adds some irritation to the drawing action, and for calligraphy as well as for painting, I don’t believe it is necessary to have it.
  • While it would be great to have the option of two-finger canvas rotation without changing tools, please make sure that you leave the current behavior as an option. It is so much easier to “scroll” the canvas in Photo without applying any rotation or zoom than it is in Procreate. And actually this is a great help for calligraphy stuff.
  • I fear we will need a better Brush Management. I would like to turn some of the default brushes into custom calligraphy brushes, but I haven’t found an option to duplicate an existing brush. It would be smart if you could add a double tap (or two finger tap) option to the brushes list, that would invoke a menu presenting options like Duplicate, Move, Delete, Duplicate to New Category, Move to New Category etc.
  • Please improve palm rejection, or rather add an option to turn off finger painting input when using the Pencil. Whenever you touch the screen with a knuckle of your drawing hand, you will leave a mark on the canvas. This is pretty annoying.
  • Please give us more gestures, particularly for Undo and Redo. This is essential for using the app when the UI is hidden. Currently, you will always have to unhide the UI, tap the Undo button, and finally hide the UI again, when you made a drawing mistake.
  • Please allow hiding the brush settings at the bottom of the screen, when the UI is hidden. When doing calligraphy, you won’t usually change the brush for longer periods of work, as soon as you have found useful settings. So you actually don’t need the brush settings panel. The same goes for pencil drawings and the like.
  • Since we have enough screen space on the iPad Pro, I wonder if you could rotate the main menu by 90 degrees on this device type and fuse it with the sidebar. This would remove some visual clutter from the UI.
  • Maybe you could add a trigger button to switch between brush and eraser somewhere on the screen, just like you did for the inline help option. Such a trigger button or trigger area would be great also for switching between the Pen Tool and the Node Editing Tool.
Hmm … this is all I can think about at the moment.
Thank you for considering,
Alex  :)

post-1198-0-95808800-1497605863_thumb.png

• Staff

Thanks A_B_C,

Most of those are already on our hit-list for the short term :)

You can already get *some* brush menu stuff by long-pressing on a brush preview in the list - but Duplicate, etc. would be good additions.

You can hide the UI completely - including the brush context bar - just *double* tap the "hide ui" icon instead of single tap..

Thanks,

Andy.

Oh, there’s another one: in some instances, it would be nice to have a brush cursor on the canvas, just like in the desktop version. I mean, a brush cursor that appears under the tip of the pencil, not the general brush size preview in the middle of the canvas (which is pretty neat, by the way) … please consider enabling that …  :)

Great suggestions and completely agreed A_B_C, and the new option in beta 2 to only allow touch for gestures REALLY helps for palm rejection - though it would be nice to allow touch for UI also, and only pencil and gestures for canvas (if possible).

I would love to see the little "blob" from the thin beginning of pressure sensitive lines go away! This haunted illustrator for years. 

Oh, and an undo gesture is a big one (as already mentioned).

I think will be Wonderful to have a "Drawings Persona" with only the essential menù for Drawings and sketches ( plus with isometric grids and mirror tool)...

will be WONDERFUL with the great brushes and possibility of Affinity Photo!!!

i dream for this great wish! Best regards and thanx affinity staff for the great works!

My Portfolio at: 500px.com/wildfox76 - Flickr -  Personal Website: Wildfoxcollection

I just downloaded the most recent Beta and I am loving what I see so far.  The initial release and the first Betas really made it difficult to do small quick strokes, especially while doing hatching.  The most recent Beta improves that.  I can't wait to really sit down to try it more. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.