You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What export option to use to get Rhino into Affinity Designer?

Hi,
We seem to have at last a program that gets past the issues with Illustrator, its called Affinity Designer.
Having both vector and raster draw options could be the solution waited for for decades, no need for Photoshop to add the effects Illustrator couldnt add.
I need to get my side view of my aircraft into Affinity Designer.
Ideally I dont want to have to trace over all the panel lines etc with AD's draw tools, Rivets could be drawn with this AD software.

Anyone know what method works best at getting Rhino into AD and not end up turning a square into a rectangle if it hasnt got its origin at its corner as happens in ai option?

• Staff

Hi Mariaevinne,

Welcome to the Forums :)

Would it be possible for you to provide one of the files in question so I can look into this further for you?

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Something does indeed seem to be strange here. Obviously you can't open native 3dm files in Affinity Designer you need a Rhino export.

So I tried the following.

I exported a model (a simple cube in perspective view) from Rhino to both AI and EPS, both of which Affinity Designer should be able to open.

In both cases opening or placing in Affinity Designer produces an empty blank layer. They don't import properly.

I then opened the same two exported AI and EPS files in Illustrator (CS6) and they import fine.

So then I re-saved the successfully imported file from Illustrator in AI format (it gets saved with the suffix '[converted]') and tried opening this in Affinity Designer and it opens fine with all the Illustrator layers intact.

It's sounds from your post as if you have Illustrator. If so - this could give you a workaround until the problem is solved.

• Staff

Affinity Designer is only able to read/access the PDF stream contained in the Ai file. Since Rhino doesn't include it when exports to Ai, Affinity isn't able to display anything. When you resave the file from Illustrator the PDF stream is included by default so it then opens fine in Designer. I would like to check the EPS file. Any chance you can attach it here David?

Thanks.

Here is the EPS export from Rhino. I can't find a PDF export from Rhino. See attached. I am not familiar with Rhino so I can't really answer Rhino related questions. I have been promising myself to try it for ages. This post prompted me to install it and try for the first time.  ;)

Test.EPS.zip

post-9119-0-71944300-1497873084_thumb.jpg

Interesting they have an AI option... I thought the format was proprietary to Adobe...

So Serif keep telling us when we ask why the Affinity apps can't open AI files unless they contain a PDF stream.... whistling.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

My guess is that rhino only exports very simple vectors, and they were able to reverse engineer enough of the format; Affinity Designer uses much more complex features so it's probably not trivial to reverse engineer the AI format for more complex implementation....

So Serif keep telling us when we ask why the Affinity apps can't open AI files unless they contain a PDF stream.... whistling.gif

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• 1 year later...
On 6/19/2017 at 2:01 PM, ronnyb said:

Interesting they have an AI option... I thought the format was proprietary to Adobe...

AFAIK, proprietary code can be licensed if the owner allows. Considering that Rhino  (whose company pre-dates even Adobe) is aimed at 3D,  and Adobe has almost no presence in that field, I suppose it is mutually useful for there to be some file compatibility.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

14 hours ago, gdenby said:

AFAIK, proprietary code can be licensed if the owner allows. Considering that Rhino  (whose company pre-dates even Adobe) is aimed at 3D,  and Adobe has almost no presence in that field, I suppose it is mutually useful for there to be some file compatibility.

Or that AI version is old one that has been easy to reverse engineer. Typically third party AI export does only curves, not all latest gizmos like complicated gradients.