Kal

Black document windows after sleep

After my Mac is woken from sleep, all the document windows appear black. (See the screenshot.) I can select objects and see their outlines once selected, but everything remains black. I have tried:

• Switching between window modes (unchecking Separated Mode)
  • Switching to full-screen mode and back
  • Hiding and unhiding the app
  • Zooming in and out

None of these work. The only thing which seems to work is to close each document and open it again.

post-61418-0-02197600-1497581704_thumb.png

Hi,

I have the exact same problem as Kal, from day one using affinity. Not using thunderbolt, I have tried to reset NVRAM. SMC & PRAM.

Hardware & OS, MBR 13" Early 2015, Yosemite 10.10

​This problem only happens with both affinity products, in my case Designer 1.5.5  and photo 1.5.2. 

I do not have this issues with other graphical based applications like Final Cut Pro, Motion & Compressor. In fact no other applications that I'm running has this quirk.

Very interested to find out what the solution would be.

Regards

Hey idgaff,

So this only happens when waking from Sleep and you also have to close and re-open the docs? I assume you're using OpenGL too? We have two logged issues regarding a black screen, the one mentioned above with Thunderbolt connections and one where the screen would go black after maximizing the app and closing the document windows from File > Close. 

I'll have to see if development have any ideas for this one. 

Hey Kal,

Do you use Thunderbolt at all? Does this happen all the time or was it a one-off? If it happens regularly, you can try resetting the NVRAM on your Mac.

Hey Chris, sorry I didn't notice that you had replied to this post. Do I need to turn on auto-follow to get notifications on my own posts?

I have an old Apple Cinema HD Display connected to my MacBook Pro via the 'Apple Mini DisplayPort To Dual-Link DVI Adapter'—old technology which connects to the Thunderbolt port and USB. So I think the short answer is no—it's using the Thunderbolt port, but only for backwards compatibility with Mini DisplayPort.

Oh I should mention, it didn't happen today!! :D  I hadn't even noticed! I guess that's the thing—you only tend to notice when your software isn't working the way you expect it to.

But the all important question… what has changed? I have no idea I'm afraid!  :blink:

Found this thread in a Google search - same thing happens to me if I leave Affinity Designer open while my 2012 MacBook Pro goes into sleep mode. 

Screenshot :

ad-screenshot.png

As with Kal, I have to close the documents and re-open them to get them to display properly after this occurs. Nothing else I have tried fixes it aside from that.

It happened to me again after I last posted. It's possible that my Mac hadn't actually gone to sleep that time now that I think about it—it had been encrypting a backup in the background

Just adding info to the thread to hopefully assist Affinity in fixing it.  Many normal scenarios where the Mac wakes from sleep do not cause problems.  I've found only one that consistently does though, at least with my setup.  It suggests that the bug may stem from how AD and AP handle the scenario where the computer wakes when a monitor is not yet available.

My current setup: MacBook Pro, lid closed, with an HDMI connected external monitor and BT connected keyboard mouse.  Working in Affinity Design (and Affinity Photo).

The sleep condition that consistently causes the black window phenomenon:

With the external monitor on, putting the MBP to sleep via the Apple menu, turning off the external monitor, waking the computer up again (via BT keyboard/mouse activity), then turning on the external monitor

Turns out this scenario is quite common in my usage as I might accidentally bump the mouse when not using the computer or mindlessly tap a few keys to turn the computer on before remembering to turn the monitor on.  For those who just let the external monitor sleep and wake on its own, different monitors may wake differently relative the the computer waking.

As others have mentioned, only AD and AP have this problem, never other apps.  

Also, the normal window can be restored only by closing and opening the window or the app.  Changing the persona or resizing the window has no effect.

Also possibly of interest:  If two document window are open in different tabs, only the active window goes black on waking.  The inactive window is unaffected.

Bonus reading:  

Scenarios that do not cause the black screen on awakening:

• With the external monitor on, putting the MBP to sleep via the Apple menu and then waking it up again (via BT keyboard/mouse activity)
  • With the external monitor on, putting the MBP to sleep via the Apple menu, waiting for the screen to lock, and then waking it up again (via BT keyboard/mouse activity) and logging in
  • With the external monitor on, launching the screen saver and then dispensing with the screen saver (via BT keyboard/mouse activity)
  • With the external monitor on, putting the MBP to sleep via the Apple menu, turning off the external monitor, turning on the external monitor and then waking the computer up again (via BT keyboard/mouse activity)
  • With the external monitor on and AD on the external monitor with the MBP open, pulling out the HDMI connector to disconnect the external monitor, then reconnecting it.
  • Using AD just on the MBP, closing the lid to put it to sleep and opening the lid to wake

Another scenario that does cause the black screen:

• Disconnecting the external monitor HDMI connector while using the MBP with the lid closed then reattaching it.  (note: not something I normally do...)

c

Hey ci2i, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

Thanks for such an informative first post too :)

It seems there are two issues but they are very similar. I'm seeing reports of users with a black screen when an external monitor is involved but also an issue where users are reporting the screen is black on wake with no external monitors connected.l

We can easily reproduce the external monitor issue in the office but I have not been able to reproduce it with just a MBP on its own (no monitor). 

Great troubleshooting ci2i! I'm almost always hooked up to an external display when I work, so I tried some different combinations of waking from sleep with the display being off and on, but I couldn't reproduce the black screen at all with very short periods of sleep. You've got me wondering though whether I normally wake from sleep first or turn the monitor back on first (I suspect it might vary). I'll try to remember to stop and take note of what order I do things in the morning, and see if I can replicate your results.

Hi all,

My setup seems well-behaved with respect to the black window problem when using the MBP by itself or when using it with the lid open with an external monitor attached.  So far I've only seen the problem when using the MBP with the lid closed.

I notice that others with the problem above say "no Thunderbolt" but not specifically "no external monitor".  Just something to double check; might get you closer to having just one flavor of the problem to solve or else a replicable no-external-monitor scenario.  Kal is using a Thunderbolt to DVI adapter; I'm a step further removed, not using the Thunderbolt ports at all.

Also, while AD and AP both show this issue, I was wondering if there are legacy Serif products that do not.  If so, it might be interesting to look into what changed with respect to throwing bits onto the screen.

All told, having to close and reopen a document window is only a minor inconvenience, and even saving the file in the blackout state seems to work.

Nice to find the active forum!