You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Zoom Tool

In Affinity Photo 1.5 when you select the Zoom Tool - say using the keyboard shortcut "Z" and use your mouse/wacom pen to zoom in/out you must reselect the previous tool in use rather than it reverting back to your previous tool like in photoshop.

Example. You are using the brush tool and need to zoom in quickly, so you hit the z key and scroll in (to zoom in) when you release the "Z" key the zoom tool stays selected rather than returning to your brush tool. 

Hi MEB,

Thank you for the info. That's better than nothing. But it will still be nice to have the tool revert back if holding the zoom key down and releasing avoiding having to press the button a second time. 

Just to give an example - One of the CreativeLive presenters talked about the importance of keyboard shortcuts and gave a quick example. He made an edit in Premiere and added it to the timeline using:  A) mouse with drag and drop + clicking icons or menu items vs b) keyboard shortcuts. Result? The keyboard shortcut took about 2-3 seconds and option A) took about 5-6 seconds. He said, repeat that over the course of an 8 hour day and its a HUGE difference in workflow speed. 

So it would just be nice to have the feature of holding Z and when releasing reverting back. 

Thank you again for the info in the meantime.

I must confess, I don't think I have ever used the Zoom Tool by clicking on it or using the Z shortcut key.

I have the mouse wheel set to zoom in and out, and when I have a tool selected, say the brush, I just use the Command + Spacebar shortcut keys to zoom in and out as well. When I release those two keys I am back to the brush tool, is that not what you want?

Z-click is nifty but actually cmd-space works exactly the same. Unfortunately, to be exact, it is SPACE-CMD – not CMD-SPACE. Little difference but stumps me every time. All other shortcuts work other way round, "modifier key first, letter key then" mode. In PS the order makes no difference. I wish AP would fix this.

• 2 months later...

I am using a tablet in AD have bound the Zoom function to one of my 8 tablet buttons.

Stopping the Zoom function on releasing the button would be a great improvement for me rather than pressing the Button twice.

For the Hand Tool there are 2 Keyboard Shortcuts working.

H for toggle the Hand Tool on and off and Space, that keeps the Tool working as long as the button is pressed. (My preferred Binding)