You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This may seem like a very dumb question coming from me since I have been using vector graphics for a few years. Is it better to work very small in order to reduce file size?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Hi, this doesn't apply to vector illustration because the mathematics that describes your shapes, strokes, curves, fills etc is the same complexity at any size.

For raster art, pixels, bitmaps, photos, size makes a difference because larger images means there are more pixels to store, but it's worth working with high quality images where possible just for quality reasons. Are you running low on space?

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Affinity apps run on: Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, GTX1650 Super

Hi Dale,

I did a little experiment where I created a shape containing lines and a gradient. When I scaled down the object the lines stayed the same thickness as I set them but looked thicker with respect to the original size. The gradient scaled down OK and looked OK.

The vertical line could be a join between two pipes. In the scaled down version this join is too thick. If the proportional thickness of a line is important then scaling is to be avoided unless converting into a bitmap.

Unfortunately I can't attache the file because it too large (1.2MB - Less than A5!).

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

I did a little experiment where I created a shape containing lines and a gradient. 

Unfortunately I can't attach the file because it too large (1.2MB - Less than A5!).

Not sure what you're doing in your design, but I just made a 5 metre x 5 metre print document using CMYK colour model, filled with a complex shape that has conical gradient fill containing 7 key colours with beautiful smooth blends. I used the Mac App Store version of AD and the saved .afdesign file is just 111KB. Vector data is normally very small, are you adding bitmap images that are inflating file sizes?

• Staff

If you rasterise a layer, it will be the same as placing or importing a bitmap.  Your file size will grow considerably.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

This is a link to my original file that I wanted to share with the forum but couldn't because of its size. However reading what Dale said I still don't understand why mine is so large (1.8MB). Perhaps there is something in the file that has increased its size.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3222owrg76lhswu/Grinding%20Jig%20Affinity.afdesign?dl=0

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

The devs will know best but I think it's just that you have many hundreds of objects, in particular I think the top Layer 1 will inflate things unnecessarily as it contains many, many lines that you cannot even see.

Are you saying then every time you draw an object the 'Scale with object' has to be ticked? This would seem to be a very laborious but important  process each time. Is there no way that it can be permanently kept ticked? Is there a good reason reason why this may not be desirable?

In the case of my Shared illustration I would have to select every object and tick the Scaled with object box?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

I agree.  Same with the Cap, Join and Align.  We need to be able to specify a preference or have it remember what we use.  I find I want Scale with object 99% of the time and I want Align inside 90%.  I'm always having to go back and clean these up when things don't react the way I think they should.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Hold fire! I was able to Scale with object by selecting each layer and ticking the box - job done!

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

I understand. The top layer is the perspective grid and could be removed once the drawing is completed.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0