You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why Is Affinity Photo & Designer Not That Popular?

Both the Photo and the Designer are excellent software. They can go toe-to-toe with Photoshop and Illustrator so why are these not more popular? I mean there are not many tutorials online (Not official, but by other people) and not many people know about them.

Now I know Photoshop and Illustrator are very old and that's also one of the main reasons they are so popular but I think people should know about Photo and Designer too. I mean all of these awesome features at just $39.99 each? What's there not to love about these two software?

I'd like to see more tutorials and videos about these two software online which explain how to achieve some complex photo manipulations and graphics designs like there are for PS and AI. I'm fairly new to the photo editing and vector designing world so I'd like to learn more. I've seen some spectacular photo manipulations and graphic designs online and I'd love to be able to do something on the same level some day.

May Affinity become as popular (Or even more) as Adobe :)

I started using Photoshop 30 years ago and it was something of a revolution for printers/graphic designers and photographers. It has had a long time since then to build up a following and encourage lots of people to write tutorials, books etc.

Affinity Photo has just started out and needs a bit of time too. The Affinity Photo team have done a brilliant job and seem very keen to improve it. I'm sure it will become increasingly popular and I for one, certainly hope it does.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

The main reason really is how new the software is. That means not many people have encountered it, not many corporations have decided to use it in house. Some of the features that people want and need are still in development in the Affinity line. 

The tutorials will come along.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

I think people should get to know about these two software (Maybe Affinity should advertise) and give them a try. In my opinion, they'll be impressed and switch over in no time. And yes @gdenby, some new features really need to be added and the existing need to be a little more improved.

You can judge the popularity increase over time by searching youtube vids for AD & AP. In about one year's time I have seen the youtube HowTo vids quadruple at least. I would say the popularity growth is happening. It would be faster but for a few key features professionals need that are not yet implemented. These are mentioned frequently in forum posts.

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

I mean $39.99 each, lifetime updates and powerful inbuilt tools so what's there not to love about these two software?

Tanujboy,

I too think that Affinity Designer and Photo are great products and I'd say that they are popular. While maybe not as well known as Adobe's offerings, Designer and Photo are popular. As with others who have posted before me, it takes time to become known let alone popular. To me, popular is difficult to quantify but I'm guessing that you mean with professionals. I do think that both Designer and Photo are making inroads with professionals but as you mentioned, Adobe has been around for a long time and their software is well entrenched in many markets with many professionals so it will take time to make inroads into the professional market. I hope that Serif continues to have push the envelope and that Designer and Photo continue to gain traction in the market because they are fantastic pieces of software. 

One important thing to note, you wrote that Designer and Photo cost $39.99 and have lifetime updates but that isn't quite right. I believe that the updates are only free between major versions. Upgrades to version 1 are free up to version 2. So if you are at 1.5 then 1.6, 1.7, etc are free but I think you have to pay an upgrade price at the next major version, which would be version 2. That is my understanding anyways. Maybe someone from the staff can clarify things? 

Hokusai

Tanujboy,

I too think that Affinity Designer and Photo are great products and I'd say that they are popular. While maybe not as well known as Adobe's offerings, Designer and Photo are popular. As with others who have posted before me, it takes time to become known let alone popular. To me, popular is difficult to quantify but I'm guessing that you mean with professionals. I do think that both Designer and Photo are making inroads with professionals but as you mentioned, Adobe has been around for a long time and their software is well entrenched in many markets with many professionals so it will take time to make inroads into the professional market. I hope that Serif continues to have push the envelope and that Designer and Photo continue to gain traction in the market because they are fantastic pieces of software. 

One important thing to note, you wrote that Designer and Photo cost $39.99 and have lifetime updates but that isn't quite right. I believe that the updates are only free between major versions. Upgrades to version 1 are free up to version 2. So if you are at 1.5 then 1.6, 1.7, etc are free but I think you have to pay an upgrade price at the next major version, which would be version 2. That is my understanding anyways. Maybe someone from the staff can clarify things? 

Hokusai

By popular I meant among content creators (Tutorial makers) as you can find a ton of tutorials for PS and AI (The factor is the presence of the software in the market). And I agree with you on the later points. And yeah, I also discovered the fact about upgrades after posting this by looking at this thread Upgrade Pricing Policy but I think it's fair :)

Tanujiboy,

I completely agree with you about the pricing being fair. Designer and Photo are both the best value for the cost for any graphics program out there (in my humble opinion). I too hope that more tutorials start to show up online to help people who are new to Designer and Photo. The ones made by the Serif staff are great but no doubt they could use some more. 

Hokusai

I'd give my eye teeth to be able to dump Illustrator (my main work software) and switch to Designer. But the sad fact is that Designer is missing too many of features that I need to do my (technical illustration) work. I've bought it, and with every update I check in and see if it's ready for prime time. But every time I end up disappointed again.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great choice for those who do color, freeform designs. But my work is technical, and black and white only. So many of the whiz-bang features of Designer are of no use to me whatsoever. But that's the direction Serif seems interested in going. So...

Tanujiboy,

I completely agree with you about the pricing being fair. Designer and Photo are both the best value for the cost for any graphics program out there (in my humble opinion). I too hope that more tutorials start to show up online to help people who are new to Designer and Photo. The ones made by the Serif staff are great but no doubt they could use some more. 

Hokusai

I think the ones made by Affinity staff are knowledgeable but mostly it's all basic stuff. Also, they have more content on Vimeo than on YouTube and I simply don't like Vimeo. I don't think their platform is much stable, plus their video quality lacks 480p which I generally watch videos on.

If it's any indication of popularity, both AP and AD are always high up in the Mac App Store, often in the Top 10 and sometimes even taking the #1 spot. Of course, there are other vendors who also sell outside of the Mac App Store (and may move more copies of their packages) but i think it's quite an achievement. And recently, Serif also came out with the Windows versions of their products, Difficult to assess the popularity of those.

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

AFAIK, one reason to make a tute is as a personal advert. Looks good if you want work for a company/client, or to become an employee. "look how many hits my you tube got..." and so forth. The number of companies who have been using Adobe for literally generations is extensive, to say the least. So the number of self promotions is quite large at this point.

My primary reason for using Affinity is that its so slick. A real pleasure to use. The other reason is that I live in an old inner city in the "rust belt" US where there is no option for a reliable cloud connection. I can barely d-load the Affinity products. Really, and system updates sometimes take a week to be successful. Connection to the Adobe cloud for use is out of the question. 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• Staff

Hi tanujboy,

There's quite a few tutorials already considering that Affinity apps are quite recent, including some from established companies like Lynda.com, video2brain.com, Skillshare, Udemy and other learning platforms.

The number of videos on Youtube is also raining considerably. Take a look at this page (Designer) and this one (Photo) for some commercial (and free) ones - it's a little outdated but still. I'm sure more will appear as we move on.

AFAIK, one reason to make a tute is as a personal advert. Looks good if you want work for a company/client, or to become an employee. "look how many hits my you tube got..." and so forth. The number of companies who have been using Adobe for literally generations is extensive, to say the least. So the number of self promotions is quite large at this point.

My primary reason for using Affinity is that its so slick. A real pleasure to use. The other reason is that I live in an old inner city in the "rust belt" US where there is no option for a reliable cloud connection. I can barely d-load the Affinity products. Really, and system updates sometimes take a week to be successful. Connection to the Adobe cloud for use is out of the question.

Now I do agree with you that tutorials are a way of showing off your skills but the point is still that they offer to teach you something.