You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Signature/text layer in a macro for batch processing

Hi AP folk,

I have had AP since it's release but am just now starting to phase out my use of PS CS5 and replace it with AP as my main photo software.

One of the functions I am having difficulty with though is placing a signature on my photos in a batch process using a macro. I have a macro that downsizes, then runs a high pass sharpening filter and I then want to add a signature in the bottom right of the photo. I read in a forum somewhere that AP doesn't allow a text layer to be added in a macro ( I have had the error message when trying to do it it) so I created a brush that is my signature. The brush works when I use it recording the macro but when I run the macro on a batch of photos it doesn't place the signature on the photo. What have I done wrong ? Is it possible to put a signature/text on photos as part of a macro to batch process ?

Regards Ian Colley

Hi IanColley

I did find a work around Ian, I created a new transparent background then put my text on a transparent background, export it as a PNG then opened a picture and recorded my macro and did a file place to place the text picture onto the document as the last object in the macro then saved it, when run it places the text in your document.

Hi jhoy, thanks for the reply.

I think I understand what you're suggesting. I need to make a transparent background containing the signature the same size as the downsized file I have created in the batch process macro. What I'm not sure about is where to place or store the PNG background file so the macro can grab it every time the macro needs it when it runs though the batch of photos.

Regards  Ian Colley

Hi Ian

I created the text on a small transparent canvas, I then exported as .png to the desktop but you can save it anywhere as long as you can get to it when needed.

I then opened an image, started recording my macro, making changes as required and at the end just select file and place navigate to the exported png signature and placed it on the picture where i would like it to be.

Stopped and saved the macro.

When run it places the signature .png file on the picture along with any other changes applied to the macro.

Thanks again jhoy,

I have already created 2 x PNG's of my signature, one white and one black, these were what I was trying to apply to the photo/document as a brush. I will have a go at selecting the signature PNG file and just placing it on the photo later tonight.  :)

Regards  Ian Colley

Hi jhoy,

I have tried this 5 or 6 times now and no success. I record the macro and when I get to the signature placement  I go up to "File" in the top menu bar, scroll down and select "Place", this allows me to find the png file I want. I double click on the png and then a little placement tool appears on the photo, I click roughly where I want the signature and then click drag to resize and reposition the signature. From here I have done two things

1. just stop recording the macro at this point

2. merge the layers down and then stop the macro

when I run the macro it still doesn't apply the signature to the finished photo, it downsizes and runs the high pass filter but no signature.

The png doesn't have to be created in AP does it ?

Also how do I rename the files with a suffix like ds2400 ?

Regards  Ian Colley

Hi jhoy,

I have created quite a few different macros now with slight variations on the signature layer. While trying to get something to work I thought that part of the problem may have been the need to move / place the signature where I wanted it in the photo each time. So the latest macro I made places a transparent layer 2400 x 1800 I created in AP (with my signature where it needs to be) straight on top of the downsized image, also 2400 x 1800. No need to move the signature every time just place one layer on top of the other. 

Couple of other weird things happening, I was playing around with the macro this morning and when I run the macro on a single image (in edit macro mode) it works 2 out of 5 times on the 1st run but if I run it a second time on a photo that downsized and sharpened but didn't apply the signature, the signature gets applied each time. It still doesn't work on a batch though.

How do I export the macro to you, do I send to an email address ? I did what you instructed and exported the macro to my desktop but I can't seem to attach it to this message. If I use the "add code" link I receive an error message that says "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file" (an .afmacro file). I would prefer if I didn't have to upload my macro with my signature to an open forum, no disrespect meant.

No worries about when you can get back to me.

Regards Ian Colley

p.s. I have done some more playing and if I run the macro twice, first time on original photos and then 2nd time on photos from the 1st macro run, it adds the signature. Now, to figure out how to get it to work in one run and rename the files during the macro. I will continue to play until I hear from you.

Ta, I'll have another crack at it.

No, no luck, keeps giving the message below when I try to attach the file. I am saving it to my desktop and giving it a name. Am I supposed to save the file as a particular type when I export the macro ?

Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file

Ta, I'll have another crack at it.

No, no luck, keeps giving the message below when I try to attach the file. I am saving it to my desktop and giving it a name. Am I supposed to save the file as a particular type when I export the macro ?

Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file

For future reference, the site software accepts zip files so macros (& just about any other file type smaller than the size limit) can be zipped & attached to posts.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi Ian

I looked and could not find a way to change the name in either the macro or the batch process as it saves with the original name, if you save to the original folder with the same extension .jpg for instance it overwrites the original so be aware Ian, in the new batch job window there is an option to select where you save it to, I would advise creating a new folder to save the changes to so that you keep the originals safe.

yeah that's what I have been doing but I want the files to be renamed so as not to confuse them at any time with the full-size original files. So it looks like I have to run another seperate batch back in PS to rename the files. I'm talking large numbers of photos from events, so this is a little inconvenient. Something for AP developers to look at I think.

I'll get back to you and let you know how I get on with the macro changes later in the week.

Thanks again.

Regards Ian Colley

• 1 month later...

Hi jhoy,

finally got some time to try some batch processing again with some new photos. I un-ticked the 'Document Properties' step in the macro and it now works a treat. I will continue to use this method to downsize and lightly sharpen my work now, as I prefer the look of the High Pass sharpen and the ease of doing it compared to my previous method. Now, if only we could rename the finished image it would be perfect :-) 

Regards  Ian Colley

Hi jhoy,

was just sorting through the photos produced in the batch after getting it to work (I thought) and have found that the macro didn't downsize the images. Un-ticking the "Document properties" removed the downsize step. How do I downsize the images in the macro ?

Regards  Ian Colley

Hi Ian

Just done a little investigation into the macro and I think I have found a way to get the text and size working for you.

If you create the macro but without the resize of the document.

When you go to the batch job window select the format you want the images in, then in the width and height boxes put your 2400 x 1800 uncheck the A (aspect ratio) and it should output the macro with the text and the size you need.

Just checked and at this point in time the macros cannot rename the image Ian.

I hope this helps with the Macros Ian.

• 1 year later...