You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Placing .png files with a transparent background into a composition?

Is it possible to place .png files into a composition.  I am able to start with a transparent .png and the first layer then place a .jpg background layer and switch the order of the layers.  However, when I try to place another .png file, my only option is to use one from the Photos App.  When It comes from Photos,the .png file has a white background mor has been converted to a .jpg.  Is there something I am missing in Affinity for iPad about placing a .png file?  I though I possible could put everything into a project, but I can't access the project after the first layer.  Nor can I place or import multiple files from a project at a one time.  Is there a way to accomplish either of my issue? Or do I just have to mask out the white background from each .png file then save it as a .png file n Affinity Photo?  

• Staff

Hi Tvan967,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Currently Affinity Photo imports all files from Apple Photos as JPG's which don't support transparency thus the added white background. Use the iCloud Drive instead to import PNG's (you have to copy the PNG files you want to use to the iCloud Drive folder on your Mac or PC first). Then with your document already open tap the ellipsis icon (in Photo Persona) and select Place ▸ Place Document. Select the PNG file from the iCloud Drive folder you used (you can also use other cloud services) and  tap on the canvas to place the PNG as a new layer (with transparency).

Hi MEB. 

I wanted to question the ability for Photos to send a PNG to a third party app.

I have three images I have saved in Photos as a PNG with a transparent background to use for watermarks. I use the workflow app as a way to batch process photos to a specific size and add one of these images as a watermark and the transparency is preserved.

I have also just tested this with the Pixelmator app as well and again, I can add multiple PNG files from Photos as layers and the transparency is still preserved, all the way to and including a final exported image back to Photos.

It appears to me that PNG files with transparency can be opened from Photos into a third party app with the transparency preserved.

• Staff

Hi donka,

This is an issue specific to Affinity Photo for iPad and Photos. We also don't import RAW files directly from Photos yet so if you select a RAW it will be sent as a JPG as well. We are working on this to improve the workflow between the two apps. I've rephrased my post above to make this clear. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks MEB. I updated earlier this evening and also started beta testing. Is the App Store version identical to the beta build - they both show 1.6.2? I ask because I'm getting a lot of app crashes when trying to share back to Photos.