You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Opening PNG files with transparent background

Hi dupguy

I have tested this and cannot replicate the white background you get, could you send me one of the .png files that has the transparency so that I can test this on one of our iPads, I have put a link below for you to send me the .png file. PNG was create in Photoshop on Windows...

Attached is the file...I have no issues when I use Photoshop Mix or other iOS apps to overlay this file on top of my photos.

post-62180-0-49333300-1497581396_thumb.png

Hi dupguy

Thank you for the picture, I tested this on my iPad, MAC and Windows on several none Affinity Apps and in Affinity designer and the background is white in all the apps, its as if the file had not been saved with a transparency, I also tested it in Pixel Mator on my MAC and there is no transparent background, I also attempted to open in PhotoShop mix and it was unable to open the file.

I have attached a picture from pixel mator showing the white background.

post-32915-0-26905600-1497601786_thumb.png

I've tested various PNG files with transparency last night after the latest release and have had no issues with them. I can add multiple different files into one image and transparency is always preserved.

Well it appears that the plot thickens...First of all, let me apologize for causing you to do some work with the file that was attached...I did attempt to load it in Photoshop Mix and I did get the white background...I was definitely puzzled...so I did a few tests and it appears that the problem happens when the iCloud syncs the PNG from my iPhone to the iPad Pro...let me explain the process I took...

Because I couldn't access my Creative Cloud files from Affinity Photo, I used PNG files that had been saved to my Photos app on my iPhone and were synced to my new 10.5 iPad Pro when I got it Tuesday...When I did my test with Photoshop Mix, I used my Creative Cloud version and the PNG behaved as expected...then I used a copy of it that had been synced by iCloud in Affinity and got the white background...after reading the Posts this morning, I went back to Photoshop Mix and used the iCloud version of the PNG and sure enough, it had a white background...confirming what you had verified...so went back to my iPhone and used Photoshop Mix with the copy of the PNG stored in my Photos album...and the PNG loaded with a transparent background...so something happens to the file when it's synced to the iPad Pro...

To confirm I proceeded to repeat the process...open Creative Cloud on my iPhone, opened the PNG file and saved it to my Photos album...loaded the saved PNG file in Mix on my iPhone and got the transparent background...once the file had be automatically synced to my iPad Pro, I opened it in Mix and got a WHITE background...same with Affinity Photo...to see if the problem was with Creative Cloud, I open the PNG file with Creative Cloud on the iPad and saved it in my iPad Pro Photos album...I then proceeded to open it with Mix and Affinity and in both cases the PNG opened with a transparent background...once the file was synced to my iPhone, I opened the file on iPhone with Mix and it opened with a transparent background...

So it appeared that the issue was caused when the file is moved from the iPhone to the iPad Pro by iCloud synchronization...now could it be that when Creative Cloud saves it to the iPhone which causes it to loose the transparency attribute on the synchronization...

More Testing

==========

I did some more testing to try to prove that the issue was not related to Creative Cloud save function…I then realized that since the iPad Pro was new and had just been configured, the Optimized Storage on the Photo Library was turned on for my iPad which meant that it was not storing original images, so I turned that off thinking that the optimized storage function was compromising the integrity of the PNG…THE ISSUE IS RESOLVED….I also noticed a small quirk when I tried to save the PNG directly from OneDrive to my iPhone…there appears to be some latency between the time the photo is saved to the iPhone and the time the original image is stored to the device…as I was doing my testing, I saved the PNG to the iPhone from the OneDrive iOS app…I immediately proceeded to open it in Mix, only to get the WHITE background…a few minutes later, as I was confirming my observation, I went back to import the file in Mix and now the background was transparent…probably some optimization to make the file available faster, but causes issue with TRANSPARENT background…

So it would appear to be an Apple issue…with optimized storage. I want to thank you all for doing some testing which pointed me to a different path.

"Dupguy" I appreciated finding your message. I am so excited about Affinity Photo for my iPad &  & I want them for my GO TO photo editing apps!

I do not have creative cloud, never will, & I have abandoned my CS6. I miss some features & learning AP's lingo makes it more difficult for me. The forums are full of techno-jargon beyond my scope. The HELP info is comprehensive but missing lots of little things to make it more complete to the inexperienced user,

I was struggling with COPY & PASTE & dealing with PNG transparencies. So "dupguy", while your message was very comprehensive, unfortunately, I did not understand the complexities you discussed. I do not think it is an  issue per se because I handle files using my other apps prior to the AP iPad release. Could it be crossing a PSD file format between apps issue? In an attempt to understand your info I decided to try to open existing PNG transparency files in AP. I discovered that I was able to open existing PNG transparencies in Affinity Photo that were in both PHOTOS & in iCloudDrive(iCloudD)-PREVIEW, unfortunately, not all other iCloudD apps with their own file formats can be opened. The PNG files were previously created either on the iPad or on iMac. When the PNG files were opened in AP the format was changed to an AP file with the transparency preserved & I am fine with that.

COPY & PASTE to other apps.

I found in AP I can export a PNG file to iCloudDRIVE (iCloudD), iCloudD-Preview, & another iCloudD apps. AND if I use the SHARE feature at the bottom of the export menu I can save to PHOTOS, copy to the iPad clipboard, send to mail, etc. However, I could not find this FULLY explained anywhere in the HELP info & admittedly I may have missed it.

I still do not know how to PASTE or IMPORT directly from the iPad clipboard into AP either as a new document or an existing document. I am concluding this is a feature that while is highly desired, it is not yet available.

I don't understand the Moderator message, but I am new to this forum & Affinity Photo.

All I can say is that your message was not overly abundant with techno-jargon and it prompted me to explore & find the features I needed.

So thanx!!

Sent from Peggy's  iPad

"Dupguy" I appreciated finding your message. I am so excited about Affinity Photo for my iPad &  & I want them for my GO TO photo editing apps!

I do not have creative cloud, never will, & I have abandoned my CS6. I miss some features & learning AP's lingo makes it more difficult for me. The forums are full of techno-jargon beyond my scope. The HELP seems info is comprehensive but missing lots of little things to make it clear to the inexperienced user, thus making it seem as if AP assumes I should know. JMHO

I was struggling with COPY & PASTE & dealing with PNG transparencies. So "dupguy", while your message was very comprehensive, unfortunately, I did not understand the complexities you discussed. I do not think it is an  issue per se because I handle files using my other apps prior to the AP iPad release. Could it be crossing a PSD file format between apps issue? In an attempt to understand your info I decided to try to open existing PNG transparency files in AP. I discovered that I was able to open existing PNG transparencies in Affinity Photo that were in both PHOTOS & in iCloudDrive(iCloudD)-PREVIEW, unfortunately, not other iCloudD apps with their own file formats. These files were previously created either on the iPad or on iMac. When the PNG files were opened in AP the format was changed to an AP file with the transparency preserved & I am fine with that.

COPY & PASTE to other apps.

I found in AP I can export a PNG file to iCloudD , iCloudD-Preview, & another iCloudD apps. AND if I use the SHARE feature at the bottom of the export menu I can save to PHOTOS, copy to the iPad clipboard, send to mail, etc. However, I could not find this FULLY explained anywhere in the HELP info & admittedly I may have missed it.

I still do not know how to PASTE or IMPORT directly from the iPad clipboard into AP either as a new document or an existing document. I am concluding this is a feature that while is highly desired, it is not yet available.

I don't understand the Moderator message, but I am new to this forum & Affinity Photo.

All I can say is that your message was not overly abundant with techno-jargon and it prompted me to explore & find the features I needed.

So thanx!!

Sent from Peggy's  iPad

"Dupguy" ...

I was struggling with COPY & PASTE & dealing with PNG transparencies. So "dupguy", while your message was very comprehensive, unfortunately, I did not understand the complexities you discussed. I do not think it is an  issue per se because I handle files using my other apps prior to the AP iPad release....

As I tried to explain, the issue with transaparency appears to be related, according to the testing I have done, to the file storage optimization performed with PNG files when the OPTIMIZED STORAGE option for iCloud photos is turned on...the idea behind storage optimization is that the iPad will download previews of images taken on other devices...it appears that when the PNG preview is created, it looses the transparency attribute...but if the PNG image stored in Photos is created on the device, then it's the original PNG image that is stored so transparency is kept...so if you open your iCloud drive and open a PNG and save it to Photos explicitely on that device then the PNG will keep it's transparency attibute...hope this helps

THANX, dupguy, for your reply but I do not have the issue of the lost transparency attribute.  Sorry I guess I misunderstood you. I have only used 29GB of 50GB of my storage. I do have my iCloud Photo Library optimized for storage and have not lost any transparency attributes.  I do recall back a while ago after I cropped a transparency image it changed to white. So I am careful not to modify a transparency once I add it to PHOTOS.  This may no longer be an issue I just have not tried it.

When I export from PHOTOS to my desktop I use "Export Unmodified Original" and have not had any issues.  For a while the exported originals had a side cars with the modified images showing up in the form of a document, that could not be opened as an image file, show in the Finder window.  That was maddening, however with the last update they do not show in Finder.

I hope I understand better, or perhaps we are talking about different things‼️⁉️

Hi dupguy,

Are you running out of space in the iPhone where the original PNG come from? Does the PNG with white background on your iPad has the same pixel dimensions as the original (transparent) one?

No I wasn't running out of space on the IPhone...but as I had a new iPad, it defaulted to optimized storage...the optimized previewmwas smaller...I turned off Optimized Storage, so I can't really go back and check unless I want to redownload everything...but everything is cool now...plus now I have 512gb on my new IPad, so I don't expect to have to turn it on soon...

• 2 years later...

So is there any solution at all to be able to add these transparent files or is it just a matter of waiting for apple to fix the issue?  I was using these apps on my phone and it was so easy to add my logo to pics and now I cant do it