You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've not had this problem before but when I want to export a file as a jpeg the option to maintain its proportion in the size box doesnt work. I can only change the size in the left hand box.

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

That's the one key I didn't press! Thanks.

How can I post an Affinity file to display my work if it is too large? Reducing the file loses some of the effects.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

In order to get it down small enough to send, according to Affinity's jpeg Export, it would be too small to view. In fact at 20px x 14px it is 770KB! Am I doing something wrong?

The original file if converted to a jpeg (3507.9 x 2480.3) would be 1.28MB.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

I would say there is something amiss with how it's exporting if a tiny 20px x 14px JPG is anything over 2KB. Maybe upload your Affinity file to a cloud storage system like Dropbox and share the link?

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Affinity apps run on: Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, GTX1650 Super

When I try to save this as a jpeg using Export it is now telling me that it is 926.06KB (too big).

However when I upload it to this reply my computer it is saying it is 610K and after uploading the Forum says it is now 595.9KB.  Why are there three different sizes?

Check this drawing against my previous description.

Rescaling.afdesign

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

An A5 page at 300 dots per inch makes for pixel dimensions of 2480x1748, so a few hundred KB for a JPG is reasonable.

The file size differences you've reported are for 1) estimated file size of a JPG at your chosen size and quality settings 2) an .afdesign file on your hard disk, not a JPG and 3) the same .afdesign file on the web. Files on a hard disk take up numerous blocks of data so the stored file sizes can vary from system to system. And JPGs are also a very different file format to .afdesign files so those sizes will always be different however they are stored.

You can resize your document to make it smaller using Document Setup, and click the Objects will: Rescale button, or you can choose smaller output sizes using the File > Export dialog. For on-screen use, e.g. sharing online, the same A5 document at 96 dots per inch is only 794x559 pixels, so a JPG of that would be smaller than the 926KB you mentioned. However, I think the gradient fills you've used don't compress very well, so the lower res JPG file isn't as small as you might expect despite having far fewer pixels.

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Affinity apps run on: Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, GTX1650 Super