You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RAW file from D750 showing dark/washed out/dull in Affinity but fine on camera??

Recently bought Affinity photo and been using it to edit RAW photos taken on my Nikon D3100. No problems when looking at photos in camera or in affinity. Just upgraded to a Nikon D750 and found that when i open the photos in Affinity they are much much darker and extremely washed out compared to when viewed in camera. Does any one know how to fix this difference that Affinity is showing??

• Staff

Hi TigersPaw,

Welcome to the forums.

I've tested a sample RAW file from a Nikon D750 in Affinity Photo and another app and they don't seem to be washed out or any darker than the other. Could you upload a screenshot and perhaps a sample file?

If you using Affinity Photo on macOS, have you tried changing the RAW engine? In the Develop personas Assistant change it from ours, Serif Labs to Apple Core to see if this makes any difference to the image.

I've been using Nikon D750 RAW files with Affinity Photo on a PC since I installed it when it was released for the PC and have no issues with them being washed out or any darker. It works just fine.

I, too, use a D750 and the Develop persona works as expected. I would check one thing, though. If you open a D750 NEF file with AP, you automatically enter the Develop Persona. Do this, and immediately check the "Assistant Options." The 5th entry in that Dialog is labelled "Tone Curve" and there are 2 choices - Apply Tone Curve or Take No Action. If you have the "Take No Action" choice enabled, your RAW file will look like a dark grey cloud was pulled over it. AP is waiting for you to do ALL of the RAW developing on your own. Try simply flipping that menu option to "Apply Tone Curve" and you might get the result you expect.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17