You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Performance of Photo on iPads 10.5 vs 12.9

Hopefully someone from Affinity can answer this one:

It seems that the Geekbench scores are confirming that the hardware internals of the new iPads are identical, except for the battery and screen resolutions (the 12.9 having larger batteries due to the larger display).

Knowing this, will the 10.5 iPad handle more live filters and adjustment layers to be applied on a project, because of its lower screen resolution?

If so, does that make the 10.5 the better choice if the main concern is squeezing performance from these tablets? I'm looking for an objective, evidence based answer: Can the 10.5" handle more adjustment layers and overall processing than the 12.9 due to the lower resolution?

Thanks!

Hi, I am no deep-dive-developer, but I understand the root of your question, so here it goes:

You are trying to approach this point from a gaming point of view, where pushing more pixels means slowdown. In the case of gaming, the bigger screen will result in 50% (lets just pretend that pixel count makes a linear increase in power needs) more strain to GPU.

On the other hand, Affinity Photo computes the pixels that are on canvas, as well as effects on those pixels. Say, a 1280x800 (a 1 megapixel image that we use here for reference) will eat up exact same resources on both iPads (the image will also fit on both screens perfectly, thats why I chose this resolution). Applying CPU intensive live filters (perspective wrap + gaussian blur at the same time) will make the exact same load on both iPads, regardless of their resolution, since all they have to do is to live-calculate 1 megapixel in real time. 

Answering your question, I would suggest you go with the 13" one – you will squeeze more productivity out of the bigger screen. 

PS - I myself run on 9,7" iPP and plan on upgrading this summer to newer ones. 120Hz and overall increase in power will be mind-blowing.

Thanks for the input MBd and Akira,

@MBd, I saw that bare feats report too, it looks like there is a small advantage in the 10.5, but not by much. as Akira said, the 12.9 does have better support for productivity (multitasking areas areas are larger).

I'm leaning towards the 12.9 now.

Cheers!

I'm having a hard time deciding between the 12.9 and 10.5" pro's. I have the first gen 12.9" and while the l estate is amazing it comes with a lot of bulk. I'm carrying it alongside my 15" laptop to and from work everyday and it doesn't fit any of my bags tablet compartments and is quite heavy and bothersome to use on the bus. I'm just worried that 10.5" might be too small to edit photos on, which is my main use on the tablet after all. Anyone got some insights?

I am editing my photos on a 9.7" iPad Pro and that size is fine.

Update: received a new 12.9" on 6/17. Still reviewing some of the differences in this new one/different size before I use AP on it. But looking forward to it, love both my 12.9" so far and my prev use of AP on my 9.7" iPP.

9.7" is too small for me, therefore I am looking forward to the upgrade.

It does the job done, but the screen estate is not enough.

Interesting. So you're using a 9.7" now and it's too small? Are you going for the 13" then? Or the 10.5?

Hi everybody :-) I'm new here.

Checked the time it takes for a "refine selection" in Photo on Air 2 and the 10.5" - it took 6 fast counts on the Air2 and 1 fast count on the 10.5! I wonder why there's such a difference

• Staff

Voicey,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Those 2 models are the lowest and highest specs of iPad that we support. This model was launched with a fanfare 2 weeks ago, it would be more surprising if it were anywhere near the same performance as an Air 2. 

The iPad 10.5-inch has a new faster processor, more RAM and Metal 2 which all contribute to much better performance.

The iPad 10.5-inch has a new processor and Metal 2 both of which contribute to much better performance, 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Interesting. So you're using a 9.7" now and it's too small? Are you going for the 13" then? Or the 10.5?

Aiming for the 13" one, but as of yet not sure about money situation. Considering the costs, I am seriously considering getting latest Microsoft Surface Pro or might as well wait a bit and go to Surface Book later this year (if they update it with latest specs that is).