You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I have simple poster design with a image background which has Transparency applied to it using the transparency tool. when I try to export it as PDF for print the transparency is gone from the background image. If I rasterise the image and then try to export, then the export process freezes.

Please guide me to resolve this problem.

Document size - 5x7.5ft

Couldn't upload the file here. File size is 90mb.

Source file - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6aFlAKFfdJNNEYxSF9mX0FyNGc

Computer Spec: MacBook Pro 2016 - i5 with 8gb ram

Thanks,

Naveen Sekar

Naveen Sekar

Creative Director

www.arknemesis.studio

Hello Naveen,

​I successfully exported two PDFs with transparency intact. For the first one, I used your file as is. For the second one, I clipped the image into a rectangle the size of your artboard, then rasterized that. Then made a PDF.

In both cases, the export takes a huge amount of time. The rasterization probably took as long as exporting a PDF, but I walked away for each process and didn't time the processes. I do note that the titlebar shows AD as not reponding when rasterizing that image. But if one waits long enough AD finishes and all is fine.

I can upload the PDF and the modified AD file later if you wish...but I would be using my phone as a hotspot until later.

The PDF creation time needs seriously looked at by Serif.

In the case of the first PDF I created, while I was waiting, I downloaded a customer file to my laptop, made changes, exported a PDF, uploaded that 100 meg PDF, cooked some soup and made coffee before AD finished. Really. But I was using other software. Nothing I have takes the amount of time that AD takes...

I'll wait to hear back from you before I delete these files (nice looking poster, BTW).

Mike

Hello Naveen,

​I successfully exported two PDFs with transparency intact. For the first one, I used your file as is. For the second one, I clipped the image into a rectangle the size of your artboard, then rasterized that. Then made a PDF.

In both cases, the export takes a huge amount of time. The rasterization probably took as long as exporting a PDF, but I walked away for each process and didn't time the processes. I do note that the titlebar shows AD as not reponding when rasterizing that image. But if one waits long enough AD finishes and all is fine.

I can upload the PDF and the modified AD file later if you wish...but I would be using my phone as a hotspot until later.

The PDF creation time needs seriously looked at by Serif.

In the case of the first PDF I created, while I was waiting, I downloaded a customer file to my laptop, made changes, exported a PDF, uploaded that 100 meg PDF, cooked some soup and made coffee before AD finished. Really. But I was using other software. Nothing I have takes the amount of time that AD takes...

I'll wait to hear back from you before I delete these files (nice looking poster, BTW).

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for taking your time. Yes Mike, I tried the same as you suggested and it works now. So, there is no freeze. It just takes a huge time when compared to other softwares. But, I can only get the transparency intact only when I rasterise the image before export. 

What was the setting you used for your first PDF.

My work around was to open the file in Affinity Photo, then rasterise and clip the image to the size of artboard there and then come back to AD and export the PDF.

Took me like 20min. Huge difference when compared to other softwares and the file size is also 5x larger.

As you suggested Affinity should look into it. Because this is our daily work around as a print designer and time is the key.

Thank you for your help Mike and thank you for your feedback on the design :)

Naveen

Naveen Sekar

Creative Director

www.arknemesis.studio

No worries. Glad to help.

I'm pretty sure I used pdf/x-4. What I cannot remember is whether I left the Use Advance Features checked or not.

Oh, one more thing. The document dpi should probably be 150 instead of the 300 it is. That will make rasterizing faster and for a document of this size is likely the resolution it will be printed at. But do check with your print service.

Mike