You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Support for macOS 10.13 beta?

MEB, as you are editing your posts very quickly, it is obviously difficult for others to understand this thread, so I suggest a restart!

The title was 'support for macOS 10.13 beta'.  My question is, will there be support in the beta phase of Designer/Photo to offer initial support for macOS betas like there has been in the past?

Well, why don’t you just give it a try and see if it works?  :unsure:

(Beta versions should never be used for production anyway, so I cannot imagine that you would be prepared to prematurely update the setup you are using for your daily work, or would you? And if you are just fond of exploring new features, then you will, quite frankly, have to expect incompatibilities. As MEB said, Affinity Designer and Photo will support macOS 10.13, as soon as it is officially released.)

Well, why don’t you just give it a try and see if it works?  :unsure:

(Beta versions should never be used for production anyway, so I cannot imagine that you would be prepared to prematurely update the setup you are using for your daily work, do you? And if you are just fond of exploring new features, then you will, quite frankly, have to expect incompatibilities. As MEB said, Affinity Designer and Photo will support macOS 10.13, as soon as it is officially released.)

Having been a beta tester for many years, I can assure you that I am fully aware of what that involves.

Of course, Designer/Photo will support 10.13 when it is released, but that was/is not my question!

(As for trying it out, how do you know I haven't? However, under the NDA I would not be able to report anything.)

I see …  :)

There may be other things for you to 'see', but my basic question still stands, i.e. will there be support in the beta phase of Designer/Photo to offer initial support for macOS betas like there has been in the past?

Don't know why this is so hard!

I just meant to express that my comment wasn’t meant as offensive as it might have come across.

Regarding your question, a little common sense might be in order here. It was said that the next version of Affinity Designer will be compatible with macOS 10.13. Don’t you think that the upcoming betas will gain that compatibility from a certain stage of the development onwards?

I don’t think it makes a lot of sense to conclude from your experience with the current beta, that this won’t be the case. You must acknowledge the simple fact, that the first beta version of macOS 10.13 was issued as a developer beta only on June 5th, and there hasn’t been a new beta of Affinity Designer since then. So it is only natural that you might encounter incompatibilities with the current beta of Affinity Designer, for (a.) the developers of Affinity Designer have had only a week so far to work on their code, and (b.) if they should already have updated their code successfully, we are not in the possession of the updated version.

I just meant to express that my comment wasn’t meant as offensive as it might have come across.

Regarding your question, a little common sense might be in order here. It was said that the next version of Affinity Designer will be compatible with macOS 10.13. Don’t you think that the upcoming betas will gain that compatibility from a certain stage of the development onwards?

I don’t think it makes a lot of sense to conclude from your experience with the current beta, that this won’t be the case. You must acknowledge the simple fact, that the first beta version of macOS 10.13 was issued as a developer beta only on June 5th, and there hasn’t been a new beta of Affinity Designer since then. So it is only natural that you might encounter incompatibilities with the current beta of Affinity Designer, for (a.) the developers of Affinity Designer have had only a week so far to work on their code, and (b.) if they should already have updated their code successfully, we are not in the possession of the updated version.

I wouldn’t disagree with anything you have said there. However, my question only required a simple yes or no answer from Affinity.

Didn’t expect this to be such a detailed debate!

• Staff

MEB, as you are editing your posts very quickly, it is obviously difficult for others to understand this thread, so I suggest a restart!

The title was 'support for macOS 10.13 beta'.  My question is, will there be support in the beta phase of Designer/Photo to offer initial support for macOS betas like there has been in the past?

Hi imacken,

Sorry if i wasn't clear enough. Affinity Designer/Photo betas will be used to fix/test any issues that may arise in order to provide support for High Sierra when released. Currently Affinity Designer/Photo (retail) don't support High Sierra (Public/Dev) Betas officially.

Hi imacken,

Sorry if i wasn't clear enough. Affinity Designer/Photo betas will be used to fix/test any issues that may arise in order to provide support for High Sierra when released. Currently Affinity Designer/Photo (retail) don't support High Sierra (Public/Dev) Betas officially.

Thank you, that’s all I was asking. This is the Designer beta forum! Good to hear.

@I'm a developer too, using macOS High Sierra actually against the common sense as daily driver.

I won't get into this philosophy ,... but you can create a new Document on 'High Sierra' with Affinity Designer/Photo by first clearing the User Data (starting Affinity Photo/Designer while pressing 'control') - after that you're able once dot create your document.

When you want todo another one repeat the steps.  --- that said... working with already existing documents works fine!

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.