alekwo

[AD & AP] Not starting after today's Windows Update - .Net Framework 4.7

I just have installed Recommended and Important updates using Windows Update, and both AD and AP don't start anymore.

One of the updates, which I belive is causing trouble was .Net Framework 4.7
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB3186497)

Others were:
2017-06 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4022719)
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - June 2017 (KB890830)
Security Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB4023307)

and few Office/Skype/Outlook updates, which I believe are irrelevant.

Since the update, I'm getting an Unhandled Exception error message, with code 0x80131534

Then the MS' crash reporter is crashing as well  ;-)

I'm on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Service Pack 1

Hi Alekwo,

I've just installed .NET 4.7 on a relatively clean Windows 7 SP1 VM and have been unable to reproduce the crash. Would you be able post a screenshot of the 'Processes' tab from Task Manager please? This will allow us to see what other programs are also running at the same time that may have caused an interference.

I can confirm, that AD crashes with .NET 4.7 installed. There was an update yesterday/today. I de-installed 4.7 and installed 4.6.2 an AD is fine again.

Crashreports: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oiki4sxeuugoicm/CrashReports.rar?dl=0

Processes running:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wtwldyguzgksfmm/Processes%201.PNG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y6vswhm35rpt12w/Processes%202.PNG?dl=0

I hope this helps to find the error.

Thanks!

*Martin

Is this a problem "unique" to Win 7?  @_martin is that your OS?

I have Win 10, and received the .NET update yesterday and AD and AP both open and run fine.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, AMD Radeon R7 360 and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher.

I can confirm that after the Windows Update last tuesday that installed .Net 4.7 Affinity Photo crashes on startup (and also MS Crash Reporter).

Uninstalled .Net 4.7, reinstalled .Net 4.6.2 and AP is working again.

Windows 7 64 bit Home SP1

So, this does appear to be unique to Win 7 installations, I think.  Certainly, no-one seems to have reported the problem with later versions of Windows.  (I realise that is no comfort/help to Win 7 users!)

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, AMD Radeon R7 360 and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher.

I have a second computer with Windows 10 (to which I'm moving now) and here all works well with .Net 4.7,

so it's Wind7 specific. 

When I had .Net 4.7 on Win7 I noticed other programs had issues as well (Box Edit, Techsmith Jing, Microsoft Crash Reporter)... so it might be Microsoft's fault. 

Hi Guys,

For the users who are suffering this can you confirm if you have a drawing tablet connected to your machine? If so could you also confirm that unplugging it will then allow the app to start up?

I was able to reproduce this on a Windows 7 machine, but only when a Wacom tablet was connected. I then rolled back to 4.6.2 and it worked as you have all found out, however I then updated to 4.7 again and found it to no longer crash! Would those who are crashing be willing to try installing 4.7 again please?

Completely confirm Sean P.: WACOM and 4.7 are the killers!!! And not only Affinity (also Painter 2017 and others....)

Thank you, Sean, your post was therapeutic :-)

I can completely confirm Sean P.'s suggestion.

Unplugged Wacom (not even uninstalled drivers, just unplugged USB cable), updated to .NET 4.7, restart the machine and replugged Wacom and AD is working like charm again.

Thanks Sean!

Microsoft fixed the Problem with latest update of framework 4.7 today... all is fine again now....

That would explain why it worked when I reinstalled it earlier today! (The previous installation was from yesterday or Wednesday). Curiously do you have a source for Microsoft confirming the issue/fix?

Thanks.

I'm a new member of this forum and frankly not (as yet) a user of the Affinity software. I found the thread because of issues I've had since installing the .NET 4.7 update via Windows Update on my Windows 7 machines.

Remoting into two of my office machines from home via TeamViewer resulted in the office machines frequently having Windows Explorer crash as soon as the connection was established -- after logging into Windows. Then, telling the remote machine to restart Windows Explorer corrected the issue every time -- until the next time I established a new TeamViewer connection (most of the times I established a new connection).

And my home machine suddenly stopped allowing me to launch Snagit. I uninstalled Snagit and went to run the download of the current version and absolutely nothing would happen. Techsmith tech support were the ones to suggest it was due to a bad .NET 4.7 version and to uninstall it.

But they said to uninstall it from Installed Updates and it doesn't exist there. It exists only in Programs.

I went to the Microsoft website to get 4.7 fresh, on the hope this thread was accurate in asserting that they've fixed it (though I'm not so sure I'm confident in that since I find no mention of an issue or a fix on the Microsoft website and their KB articles on 4.7 all show as having been most recently updated months ago -- although I assume most of us here would agree Microsoft is notorious for not openly admitting mistakes).

And here's something that's fun and interesting: when I went to download the web installer for .NET 4.7 from the Microsoft website the craziest thing happened. I found the link and decided to copy it into my calendar to later use for all my other machines if the first machine proved successful -- but when I then double-checked to make sure I had copied the link properly by pasting it into a new browser tab, I got a message saying sorry but the download is no longer available!

We're sorry, this download is no longer available.
  • Perhaps one of the following links will help you find what you need.

And the tab shows a title of "Error 404."

Whaaattt??

I checked and it was the same link! Two tabs side-by-side, one showing I can download the installed and the other saying the download is no longer available.

I replicated it and it happened again and again, although intermittently. About 40% of the time I get the error.

You gotta be kidding me.

Here's the link: 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55170

Not exactly giving me that warm, cozy feeling.

Unless I'm missing something...???

Maybe I should uninstall 4.7 and install 4.6.2 and call it a day.

Thought I'd share this here and see if it helps anyone, or anyone cares to comment.

Okay, so, here's the outcome per my preceding post...

First off, I neglected to mention it but, yes, my home computer did and does have a Wacom tablet connected. This computer is the common denominator with all the issues I reported in the above post: the home machine exhibited the issue with Snagit not launching and then not installing, and the home machine is what I used for remoting into my two office machines when they exhibited issues with Explorer crashing on initial connect via TeamViewer.

I assumed the advice in this thread was reliable, and I wanted to gain some troubleshooting data for one and all, so I uninstalled .NET 4.7 from the home machine and -- leaving my Wacom tablet attached -- downloaded .NET 4.7 and installed it (with a reboot in between and after).

Then, I launched the Snagit installer that had consistently failed to launch before, and this time it launched and installed fine, and Snagit is working fine.

Remoting with Teamviewer hasn't exhibited any issues as yet but that was an intermittent issue to start with and it's therefore not possible to reach a definitive conclusion as yet.

However, the issue with Snagit not launching was consistent, and the fact that it resolved on uninstalling .NET 4.7 and then downloading and reinstalling it would seem to reliably confirm that that was the problem and that Microsoft has indeed fixed it.

Sorry but now I have to ask if anyone has had an issue with .NET 4.7 affecting the way Outlook clients under Exchange handle indexing for Windows Search.

I'm running Windows 7 and Outlook 2010 clients, and we're on hosted Exchange 2013.

I uninstalled and reinstalled .NET 4.7 and that seemed to fix all the issues I'd seen to date. However, all my machines starting having their Outlook clients exhibit issues with Windows Search never completing indexing.

This was all with one mailbox on four different client machines - same behavior on all.

I archived older items to reduce the mailbox file size. I then wiped and reinstalled the mailbox profile on two machines. One didn't have the indexing issue reappear (as yet, anyway).

The machine on which I have a Wacom tablet, however, did have the indexing issue reappear. I've done Rebuild within Outlook Search Tools and that hasn't helped. Any chance it's relasted .NET and a Wacom tablet?

I should also mention that a while ago the Wacom tablet tools all say the driver is not functioning, for what it's worth. (Yes, next I will uninstall everything related to Wacom and remove the tablet to see if that helps.)

I'm wondering if anyone else has had an issue with Windows Search indexing.

Thanks!