You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

YABQ (Yet another Brush Question) - issues with freehand

Hello,

In an effort to transition from Photoshop to Photo, I thought I'd try to at least establish a freehand sketch for a design I'm working on in Photo rather than Photoshop. I tend to use a simple hard round brush with shape dynamics enabled in PS and Jitter determined by Pen Pressure. With Photo, I've selected an equivalent brush under the Basics and set Size Jitter to Pressure under Dynamics.

So far so good. The problem I'm experiencing is that when I sketch a freehand curved line in Photo, the precision isn't quite there. The curve I draw is often made up of a series of small (and sometimes not so small) straight lines rather than following the pen exactly. It's as if the software is unable to keep up with the pen and interpolates between two points along the movement of the pen. Photoshop doesn't do this. Has anyone experienced this? Is it a known issue and if so, will it be addressed? Having the line follow the pen exactly is critical

Thanks,
-grant 

www.grantregan.com // burning sky / art of grant regan - art direction // concepts // matte-painting // illustration

Lenovo e570p - i7 7700hq / Win10 pro / 32Gb 2400mhz RAM / NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti / Wacom Cintiq 13HD & Huion Kamvas 16 Pro

• 1 month later...

Apologies for not responding. I've been busy with work and regrettably my transition to AP has been put on hold. My experience is that it is with all brushes frankly. There just isn't the immediacy with the brush tool that there is with Photoshop or even with Krita, which generally is very pleasant to use. I'll trial it again and if I have examples to show, I'll post them. Generally it occurs with swift brush strokes and with tight freehand circles or arcs. The pressure sensitivity when starting a stroke will at times disappear. The problem seems to worsen over time as Photo begins to rapidly get more sluggish.

I look forward to seeing what improvements come with future versions as the potential is great but for any task that relies heavily on the brush tool and a stylus (in this case a Wacom Cintiq) I'm been using Krita and my old non-subscription copy of PS.

www.grantregan.com // burning sky / art of grant regan - art direction // concepts // matte-painting // illustration

Lenovo e570p - i7 7700hq / Win10 pro / 32Gb 2400mhz RAM / NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti / Wacom Cintiq 13HD & Huion Kamvas 16 Pro