Sign in to follow this  
ronhip

Opening a multi-layer tiff

When I open a multilayer tiff created in PhotoShop, all the layers are collapsed into a single layer in Affinity Photo 1.5.2. How do I preserve all the layers? When I first save as a psd in Photoshop and then open in AP, the layers are all there, but there are issues (strange ones with some text not showing up but still there in the layers. I can upload the TIF (37.5MB) if necessary. It would be best if it would "just work" directly from the TIF.

Ron

Hi Ron

We do open layered tiffs, however it depends what the layer comprise of. Having layers in a tiffis is more of a hack than something that is native or standard to the format. A layered tiff from PS is basically a PSD wrapped in a tiff container. Are you able to upload the tiff using this link for us to look into?

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

hi ronhip

Thanks for the file. I've taken a a look at it and the image is basically flattened because of the text layers included. Text is one of the most difficult things to import and we simply can't read the PS specific layer information for text layers so we flatten the entire image to preserve accuracy instead of omitting the layers.

If you wish to keep the layers preserved with text I would recommend exporting to PSD instead of layered tiff for use in Affinity, or rasterising the text layer to make them pixel layers before exporting ti a Layered Tiff

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

I'm sorry for reanimating this old thread, but I'm also having multi-layer tiff files appearing as flattened - no text here, these are tiff files generated by autodesk's Sketchbook - any chance of that this can work at some point in the future?

thanks!

Just signed up for the 90 day free trial. 

I have thousands of layered tiff files that are all text based. 

The file opens with raster text. 
looks like I’ll have to remove affinity from my system. 

if all a layered tiff with text is a psd wrapped in a tiff container - why can’t you rewrap as PS file and then open as intended?

9 minutes ago, Rhinos said:

Just signed up for the 90 day free trial. 

I have thousands of layered tiff files that are all text based. 

The file opens with raster text. 
looks like I’ll have to remove affinity from my system. 

if all a layered tiff with text is a psd wrapped in a tiff container - why can’t you rewrap as PS file and then open as intended?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

I am not sure if this will help, but there's an option in Preferences, General, that controls whether text in PSD files is imported as editable text or rasterized. How do you have it set?
image.png.eac41d48d34430b7765ead45ced0c495.png

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.650 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.650 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.651 Beta.