You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do i transfer files between my computer and iPad without sending it away

On 5/22/2018 at 2:59 AM, oopshush said:

you could use icloud, and here is the insturction how to use icloud to sync files

As I understand it, @fmotta wants to avoid using any & all cloud services. Personally, given Apple's current obsession with maintaining user privacy, I have no problems using the Apple-hosted iCloud Drive service for this, but to each their own.

Anyway, assuming copying Affinity files between an iPad & a desktop Mac is acceptable, the third method MEB mentioned in this earlier post using Airdrop does not require sending anything to any cloud service, nor does it even require internet access. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 months later...

I use air drop all the time. The air drop transfer is vastly faster than my internet upload speed, and usually faster than download.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

I use FileExplorer:File Manager from the app store. It is similar to Readle.  They are both free, but I find FileExplorer(FE) most appropriate for connecting to desktop. Here is how I do edit on my AF and send results to desktop:

1.  Setup a shared folder on desktop (I use linux, but should work on win 10 or mac)

2. Open FE  touch the + sign on the menu and choose the connection you want (in my cae Linux).  A list of connections in your network is presented on the bottom, choose whatever is correct, linux, windows 10, or mac, etc.

3. Sign into your chosen desktop.  You will see the shared folder you have created.  You can find the photo files (but you must share it) and choose a single photo.  It will download to ipad.  Touch the right top export icon, and choose Open IN, and choose AP.

4.  Do editing on AP.  Touch file, and export.  I choose to export jpeg file.  Then touch share.  Find the FE icon and touch it.  It will present a Save to screen.  Choose the icon where your desktop is in. Find your desktop shared file, and save it.  You can choose other shared folders to save it to as well. 

This is my workflow, and it works nicely, albeit a bit complicated, but it is bearable.  

20 hours ago, gdenby said:

I use air drop all the time. The air drop transfer is vastly faster than my internet upload speed, and usually faster than download.

My internet connection is quite fast, around 350 Mbps down & 20+ Mbps up on the average, but Airdrop is still a much faster way to transfer files between my iMac & iPad. However, every so often Airdrop on the iPad does not find the iMac for 20-40 seconds, so even though that does not happen often, when it does it would probably be quicker to use iCloud drive instead.

Edited by R C-R
fixed edit error (Thanks Carl!)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi Affinity team.  

I would like to  express to you that your apps are absolutely awesome.  So much so, that even though I have owned Affinity Designer from the start, I really have never used it, until Affinity Designer for iPad launched.  I am not a designer, I have really no talent in drawing or so I thought, now I am picking up my iPad and really intent on learning all the nuances of this app.

My real talent is with my camera and Affinity Photo.   

But why have I chosen to write this note.  I don't spend a great deal of time on this site anymore because it seems that there are so many people on here that have nothing better to do then express their wants and complaints.  I surely can understand the wants, but lets be honest here, there doesn't need to be the wants with all the hollow comments about what would be better.  The team at serif have produced these products, they have won awards galore and yet you all complain about this about that about, mind bending attitude.  

So as per usual I am probably going to get a lot of flack from this note, but I would ask one to think before you post these comments to stop and think about what Affinity has been able to produce in a record time.  

PLUS, they are probably taking some well deserved holiday time with their families.  

Peace, and patience to all, with thanks to serif.  

5 hours ago, R C-R said:

My internet connection is quite fast, around 350 Mbps up & 20+ Mbps down on the average, but Airdrop is still a much faster way to transfer files between my iMac & iPad. However, every so often Airdrop on the iPad does not find the iMac for 20-40 seconds, so even though that does not happen often, when it does it would probably be quicker to use iCloud drive instead.

Right after I made my last response, I tried using the Internet Health Test site. Failed after the 3rd of 4 runs. D-load, 2.4 Mb/s, upload 60 Kb/s. Just tried again, and also failed, saying that i had a firewall up, I don't, or browser plugins that interfere, but those also not. Curiously, when I use the test from my provider,  it always shows almost the minimum for broafband, about 5Mb/s. I wonder if the new router I got a few weeks ago screws with the test.

Just tried again, failed after 1st round, had a d-load of .5Mb/s.

This makes me want to spit, 'cause I was spoiled when employed. My desktop got 1 Gb/min, often more. Honestly, my home service is not better than it was 15 years ago, and costs more.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

35 minutes ago, gdenby said:

Right after I made my last response, I tried using the Internet Health Test site.

I had never heard of this site before, but when I ran its tests just now, all 5 'steps' completed with a minimum d.l. speed of at least 200 Mbps except one. That was listed as indented under step 4 (??) with a d.l. speed of about 10 Mbps, but there was no info on what site it was getting the data from, so I have no idea if that is an ISP issue or a server one.

Affinity Photo 

10 hours ago, R C-R said:

My internet connection is quite fast, around 350 Mbps up & 20+ Mbps down on the average

Shouldn't that be the other way around?

Download speeds are usually faster than uploads

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

4 hours ago, carl123 said:

Shouldn't that be the other way around?

Yes, it should be. Thanks for pointing that out.

Affinity Photo 

Sending a file from a Mac to an iPad:

Save file in Affinity to a location on your machine

Open a finder window

click in Airdrop in the side bar

open a second Finder window and locate the file

Drag the file onto the airdrop symbol in the first finder window (not the sidebar icon)

The file will open in affinity on the iPad. 

Saving from an Ipad to a Mac laptop:

Save a copy

name file

choose on my iPad

Add (Top right)

Go to the files folder 

locate the file

Select (Top right)

tick the file you want to send

Share (Bottom left)

Airdrop by tapping the airdrop symbol and choose your laptop.

:D

Have to agree, Airdrop between Apple devices is superb.

If you do need to set up a wireless connection to any pc or Mac, Documents (Readdle) now has a new simple connect feature. 

1. On PC/Mac enter docs transfer.com in your browser. This produces a QR code.

2. On iPad Documents tapWifi-transfer. This opens a screen to take snapshot of QR code. 

3. Snap the code and you are connected to your computer. Simple.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

6 hours ago, DM1 said:

If you do need to set up a wireless connection to any pc or Mac, Documents (Readdle) now has a new simple connect feature. 

https://readdle.com/documents/how-to-transfer-files

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 3 weeks later...
On 15.6.2017 at 03:52, fmotta said:

Nun, ich habe Xender benutzt, um ein Foto auf das iPad zu bekommen ...

Aber wenn ich darauf klicke, öffne ich es nicht und wenn ich Affinity Photo starte, kann ich die Datei nicht finden ...

Es scheint, als ob iPad wirklich entwickelt wurde, um Produktivität zu verhindern.

Wie bewegen Leute diese Dateien zwischen dem Pad und dem Computer und erledigen die Dinge?

...Mi einem lightnin/USB Stick oder  per icloud oder andere cloudspeicher der Workshop geht gut.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/14/2017 at 6:53 AM, fmotta said:

OK,

iPad and iphones are historically bound up so that file transfer sends YOUR data to someone ELSE before you can get it back. Or (worse) use that virus called iTunes.

Since the data is sitting inches away and on the same network, is there a reasonable method of transferring files to/fro iPad and a computer like real phones/tablets?

Maybe a cable, or scp, or even better my own cloud (not someone elses - googledrive, i<whatever>, dropbox,...?

The safest computer is one that is not online (well not turned on also helps).  So, i really don't feel any of the above options are anywhere safe.

The apps i have read into all require that the file format (extension?) be one that they know.  So, raw data (like afphoto and the like) appears to be out of the question for them.  Are there any honest solutions (honest in this meaning infers omission of a 3rd or even 2nd party run by unknown kids in a data center somewhere in the world)?

Thanks in advance!

But I think your worries is not necessary  now, cloud tool or iTunes or third-part tool more and more safe than before, whichever tool you use to transfer file between phones.

• 7 months later...

I want to express to you that your applications are absolutely awesome. So much so that, although I had owned the Affinity Designer in the first place, I actually never used it, until the Designer for iPad came out. I'm not a designer, I really don't have drawing talent or so I think, now I'm choosing my iPad and really intend to learn all the nuances of this app.
1. On PC / Mac, type docs transfer.com in your browser. This creates a QR code.
2. On iPad Documents, touch Wifi-transfer. This will open a screen to take a picture of the QR code.
3. Send via the device's cloud application.
4. Use icloud of 2 devices to send to each other

On 6/14/2017 at 8:53 AM, fmotta said:

Since the data is sitting inches away and on the same network, is there a reasonable method of transferring files to/fro iPad and a computer like real phones/tablets?

Seems from the above posts that there are many, many ways to achieve this. 😄

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

I know the original post was from 2017 when this option wasn’t available, but if you want to avoid cloud services and using iTunes, now it’s possible with the Files app to connect to a local network share or NAS, and you can copy files that way. Affinity’s file browser currently doesn’t see them yet, hopefully in an update we’ll get the full Files app functionality, so you can’t directly save to a network share (nor open files from a network share). But as a workaround for the time being, you can save them to any location on you iPad, then switch over to the Files app and copy it to the network share you have mounted.

Edit: Another option that again wasn’t available in 2017, is to use a USB stick or HDD/SSD. And again, the Affinity file browser doesn’t see these when mounted, so you’ll have to use the same workaround above, just copying to the mounted drive instead of a network share.

On 2/6/2020 at 4:03 PM, adelie said:

I want to express to you that your applications are absolutely awesome. So much so that, although I had owned the Affinity Designer in the first place, I actually never used it, until the Designer for iPad came out. I'm not a designer, I really don't have drawing talent or so I think, now I'm choosing my iPad and really intend to learn all the nuances of this app.
1. On PC / Mac, type docs transfer.com in your browser. This creates a QR code.
2. On iPad Documents, touch Wifi-transfer. This will open a screen to take a picture of the QR code.
3. Send via the device's cloud application.
4. Use icloud of 2 devices to send to each other

If you want to share your experience, then shareit for pc at shareitdownloat.net is the perfect option. It shares quickly and appropriately across multiple devices

Edited by adelie

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/21/2018 at 6:29 AM, Chezqui said:

Sending a file from a Mac to an iPad:

Save file in Affinity to a location on your machine

Open a finder window

click in Airdrop in the side bar

open a second Finder window and locate the file

Drag the file onto the airdrop symbol in the first finder window (not the sidebar icon)

The file will open in affinity on the iPad. 

Saving from an Ipad to a Mac laptop:

Save a copy

name file

choose on my iPad

Add (Top right)

Go to the files folder 

locate the file

Select (Top right)

tick the file you want to send

Share (Bottom left)

Airdrop by tapping the airdrop symbol and choose your laptop.

:D

More steps than what we should have to do.

Why can't AD send the native AD file from the Share menu item in the app itself, and why should we have to save it to the iPad and then go to the Files app to share it back?

When are Serif going to fix this? It's 2021, ferchristsake!