You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do i transfer files between my computer and iPad without sending it away

OK,

iPad and iphones are historically bound up so that file transfer sends YOUR data to someone ELSE before you can get it back. Or (worse) use that virus called iTunes.

Since the data is sitting inches away and on the same network, is there a reasonable method of transferring files to/fro iPad and a computer like real phones/tablets?

Maybe a cable, or scp, or even better my own cloud (not someone elses - googledrive, i<whatever>, dropbox,...?

The safest computer is one that is not online (well not turned on also helps).  So, i really don't feel any of the above options are anywhere safe.

The apps i have read into all require that the file format (extension?) be one that they know.  So, raw data (like afphoto and the like) appears to be out of the question for them.  Are there any honest solutions (honest in this meaning infers omission of a 3rd or even 2nd party run by unknown kids in a data center somewhere in the world)?

Thanks in advance!

This is mostly theoretical knowledge only, I don't currently have an iPad:

Probably something like Xender or SHAREit - temporarily makes your iPad into a web server, as I understand it, either using your home WiFi or making your iPad a hotspot (neither requires internet access, it's working on purely local networking).

I think SHAREit requires an app on both ends (iPad and computer), while Xender uses a web browser on the computer end. SHAREit includes other features (e.g. Powerpoint slide controller), while Xender seems to be purely file transfer.

There are some other apps that do something similar, and I think iTunes can do direct file transfer (they've bolted everything they can onto that monster, and I can understand your reluctance to use it - I've used it in the past).

iMazing apparently does direct cable transfer without iTunes.

Alternatively, you can use a USB drive or stick with the appropriate adapter (for some USB devices you might need to supply external power to the adapter via the Lightning port beside the USB port Note: it is not a second data port, it is for extra power).

Thanks obtusity,

When the iPad arrives I will try these methods/apps.  Then, hope that an Android version comes out soon.  Then I can put this iPad  appropriately where the last one went after finishing the app debug I was contracted to provide... e-waste.

It says a lot about my opinion of Affinity that I went out and (temporarily) aligned with the devil at a high cost so I can use the tablet app :).

When the iPad arrives I will try these methods/apps.  Then, hope that an Android version comes out soon.

It seems highly unlikely that an Android version will come out in the near future.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Or the far future ;)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

It seems highly unlikely that an Android version will come out in the near future.

Or the far future ;)

My original wording was something like "It seems highly unlikely that an Android version will come out soon, if ever," but when I searched for your post I found that you had written "Android doesn’t currently offer an equivalent technology that we can use." When I saw the word "currently" it occurred to me that if Android changes sufficiently then Serif's attitude to Android might change, too. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Even if the technology were there, this would still be a huge commitment, possibly years of work. People ask for Android like its just flicking a switch on the compiler.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Well, i used Xender to get an afphoto onto the ipad...

Yet, when i click on it i do not open it and when I start Affinity Photo i cannot locate the file...

It seems as thought ipad really is designed to prevent productivity.

How do people move these files between the pad and computer and get things done?

Even if the technology were there, this would still be a huge commitment, possibly years of work. People ask for Android like its just flicking a switch on the compiler.

Since I designed and implemented a tool used by Sony for developing apps using one code base for all of its supported platforms (libraries, API wrappers, compiler/link flow, and debug), i am aware that it is not just a compile switch (unless it is written with such a tool as i made or Xamarin).  The best way to ensure multi platform support is to plan for it from the start.  It seems that this may not be the case with Affinity. So, it is essentially a rewrite/refactor to move to a multi-platform tool flow :/

Thanks for your work here... i just hope i can get it from frustration in the enforced arbitrary limits built into ipad for production prevention and on to a flow do i can use it and the pen to draw more naturally.

I am able to get an afphoto file on to the iPad and edit it...

But, I see no method in Affinity Photo to share it out of the app back to the computer... not in the app, and that is the place I can see the file I have edited.

What magic is needed to get the file (in the productivity prevention app area) back off the iPad and to the computer?

I even went as far as (temporarily) allowing every data collection (i mean cloud) service Apple provides including icloud and airdrop.

• Staff

Hi fmotta,

Here's three ways to get your file out of Affinity Photo on iPad:

1. With the file open, tap the document icon and select Save A Copy. This saves a copy of the file as an .afphoto document to iCloud Drive or other cloud service you might be using. You can then access the same file/folder from you Mac or PC.

2. With the file open, tap the document icon and select Export. This allows you to save the file in any generic file format you want to iCloud Drive or other cloud service you might be using. Again you can then access the same file/folder from you Mac or PC.

3. With the file open, tap the document icon, select Export then tap the Share button on the bottom left of the interface and select the computer/user you want to share the file with using Airdrop (in the popover on top). This sends/exports the file in the format you have selected to the Downloads folder on that machine.

Thanks MEB,

If I understand correctly...

- The original resided on my cloud

- A copy is made to my ipad

- Another copy is within the Affinity area

- After editing - I put a 4th copy back onto the cloud (with edits done on the ipad)

(compounding the problem with each transition between devices)

I speculate this antiquated concept of many copies must be the nature of iPad; since i cannot believe that any modern developer would choose to require that we have to manually manage file versions (like in the file name I as I did in the 80's).  I guess edit-in-place on the cloud (like most people I know have done since the beginning of this century) may be too forward thinking for Apple WRT ipads.

If this is the case; I guess i have to remember versioning the names so I know which copy is which and take care to manually delete only the old ones  like the days of old.

• Staff

Hi fmotta,

This is just the first implementation. Both Photos and iOS 11 may also bring changes here so i think it's a little to soon to know how all this will work in a few months. We will certainly do our best to improve the workflow between the two. Bear with us while we look at this.

3. With the file open, tap the document icon, select Export then tap the Share button on the bottom left of the interface and select the computer/user you want to share the file with using Airdrop (in the popover on top). This sends/exports the file in the format you have selected to the Downloads folder on that machine.

There's one more:

4. With the file open, tap the document icon, select Export then tap the Share button on the bottom left of the interface and select Save Image in the bottom left corner of the pop up menu. The image will then be saved in your iPad's Camera Roll.

Thanks all.

Other than the bizarre/antiquated file management workflow this rocks as I'd have expected from serif!

Once i nagged Apple to cancel the pen they sent to Duluth (I live 5 minutes from Apple HQ), then i receive the pen (also had to nag them to actually resend the purchased product)... I hope to use this in ernest; albeit with awkward file management...

I edit files on one mac ir even my time capsules using any computer on my network just fine... why can't this be the case with iPad (other than the desire to force use of a 'cloud' device rather than edit-in-place).  Already, i have 8 copies of a file and a mess to clean up locating the latest version and deleting the artifact files. Doing this in a production manner *could* be resolved if scripted access to these files in their productivity prevention zones inside apps were an option.  However, it appears such productivity methods are also prevented on ipads.

Now, to go cancel my icloud service and close down related ports on my firewall so nothing "accidentally" ends up in the hands of others.

Cheers and love the tool itself!!

Hi fmotta,

Here's three ways to get your file out of Affinity Photo on iPad:

1. With the file open, tap the document icon and select Save A Copy. This saves a copy of the file as an .afphoto document to iCloud Drive or other cloud service you might be using. You can then access the same file/folder from you Mac or PC.

Tried this. Interestingly the "Affinity Photo" Folder in iCloud Drive is greyed out. So no way to store a .aphoto file where it belongs to, like in macOS. Weird.

When will Photo behave as usual with iCloud Drive?

Hello MEB,

Thanks for the above information.  I tried option 1 and was unable to open the .afphoto file on my desktop.  I received this error message:  "Failed to open document...The file includes features from a later version of Affinity"  I have Affinity Photo (Mac) version 1.5.2.  I love the iPad app and look forward to future refinements.  

Edited:  >>Just found info in Forum re desktop beta that should address this I believe...please disregard<<

• 4 months later...
On 2017/6/14 at 10:57 PM, fmotta said:

Thanks obtusity,

When the iPad arrives I will try these methods/apps.  Then, hope that an Android version comes out soon.  Then I can put this iPad  appropriately where the last one went after finishing the app debug I was contracted to provide... e-waste.

It says a lot about my opinion of Affinity that I went out and (temporarily) aligned with the devil at a high cost so I can use the tablet app :).

No matter how technology evolves, it's hard for android to go beyond ios , especially data synchronization or transfer

fMotta - rather late perhaps, but...

I would like to suggest an iPad app called FileBrowser, which I cannot recommend highly enough.

It is wireless network based and with it you can: transfer directly any file between iPad and iPad, iPad and iPhone, iPad and laptop or desktop, even desktop and laptop - and vice versa for all of these; none of which pass through  the Cloud

There is a free version which has most functions fully available. (With the paid-for version - only £6 - you have for example access also to most Cloud services).

Also... Agreeing totally about iTunes, an excellent alternative is a Mac or Windows app - iMazing. (Has a limited trial available).

Finally, though it can be temperamental, for directly copy-pasting between clipboards of devices, there is PastEasy.

If only one of these I'd definitely propose FileBrowser. Quite new to the iPad myself, and frustrated by the restrictions of iOS, being introduced to this has made all the difference.

Hope this helps.

EDIT... with some apps/files you need to go first from App to the new inbuilt iOS Files app, and from there 'out' via FileBrowser.

• 1 month later...

I use Documents by Readdle. Free, can access Network shares, cloud and iPad local files. Built in browser, viewer and media player.  The Swiss Army knife of iPad apps. You can set up nested folders (I use it to store all my AP info and files such as macros and brushes that I may wish to load into AP.  'Documents' can also access iPad photos and shares with Affinity Photo and IPad 'Files' apps. Until the iPad beta gets released, I find Documents resolves the majority of access and local storage issues that are raised in various posts here.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...